Page 11 of 654 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111511 ... LastLast

Thread: Use of X-ray film: technical discussion with example images

Re: X-ray Film example and comparison.

Jim, the film I have just says "daylight". Perhaps it is blue-sensitive, which would make sense since open shade and out in the sun has a lot of blue light, but under the dense redwood forest, there would be, relative to the total amount of light, less blue light.

I have not really had a chance to experiment with it (with so little time to devote to photography, I tend not to do much extra in terms of experimenting). The film was given to me after the hospital changed brands of X-ray film...I have been keeping it in the fridge. I cut it down in the darkroom using a red safe light.

I have only developed a few sheets myself...I had the hospital develop the first batch. I can't remember what I developed the second batch of negs in...I'll have to check my records.

This X-ray film image is a carbon print, printed "reversed" onto B&S tissue.

http://bostick-sullivan.invisionzone...&req=si&img=70

Vaughn

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Thanks, Vaughn for the info. I do remember that shot of the boys and the train. They grow up fast don't they? I guess I need to experiment with my green sensitive 11x14 in some different lighting situations. If this is high contrast stuff may be a cheap way to shoot a lot of 11x14 for carbon.

Jim

Okay, this is not a good example but what the heck. I set up a studio shot with my 11x14 and my big Darlot. This was shot on the green sensitive film. The flower was a deep orange and the leaves a light green. No filter used. I developed the film in Pyrocat-HD 1:1:200 for 10 minutes. My backdrop fell when I took the lens cap off for the 4 second exposure so that is why there is that funky black at the top. I shot this at about F 5.6. I need to shoot some outside to get a better idea.

Jim

joseph

Is that a scan of the negative?
    Looks a bit overexposed, but I presume you're exposing for your carbon printing-

Look forward to seeing the outside shots-

Hey Jim!

Just made a couple 8x10 carbons using a X-Ray film negative. These posts got me thinking, so I thought I'd double check my assumptions.

The x-ray film is definitely softer when printed in reverse...at least with my way of printing. Thick pigmented gelatin layer, low pigment concentration, using my double merc vapor light unit, transferred onto fixed out glossy fiber photo paper.

The negative itself has plenty of contrast relative to my usual film. The scene only had 5 zones (EV 7 to 11, and exposed at EV 9 -- f22 at 1/4 sec -- using an ASA of 400). The image is one of my boys standing in front of a redwood on the edge of a meadow -- so lots of blue light.

I gave the neg some pretty hefty development...Ilford Universal PQ Developer at 1:9, 75F for 7 minutes, in a tray (constant agitation). Definitely got more contrast out of the negative than most conventional films -- close to what I use to get with Kodak Copy Film. (comparisons are subjective -- not quantative).

It is still possible that you might get better sharpness with the neg reversed using your vacuum easel and the point light source of your NuArc beasty.

I also printed a neg from my Diana camera -- a precious little 1.75"x1.75" carbon print -- an accidental double exposure on some out-dated Tech Pan film.

I got a 4x5 ready to develop (using up some scraps of tissue I have had around for awhile...left overs from the workshop). So off I go!

Your flower certainly shows the effects of an ortho film! Good luck taking the film outside!

Vaughn

That's very good, Dann. Thanks for sharing.

Here's a contact print of the back yard made with CSX Green 8x10. If you look really close you can see my reflection in the window...ala Eugene Atget.
    Film was exposed at EI 50 for 4 seconds f/22.5. Developed in Pyrocat-HD (10ml+10ml+1000ml water) for 10:00, 21 C.
    It was a bit breezy outside, so some of the foliage is blurry.
    Overall a nice film. Not as sharp as I'd like which I think is due to emulsion on both sides...but Dann's method of removing one side's emulsion with bleach might help.

Hmmm, the uploaded print is slightly darker than the actual print...Should also state that the print is on Foma Variant FB....a paper that I've never used.

I tried lightening it up a bit to match the print...

My first real print from 11x14 green sensitive x-ray film. This is a portrait of my youngest son. I used my 18" Voigtlander Euroscop at F-11 and 1/2 second in open shade. I developed the film in Pyrocat-HD 1:1:200 in a tray for 12 minutes. The image is printed on some 1976 Azo and is untoned.

Jim