Page 524 of 655 FirstFirst ... 24424474514522523524525526534574624 ... LastLast
Results 5,231 to 5,240 of 6546

Thread: Use of X-ray film: technical discussion with example images

Re: Use of X-ray film: technical discussion with example images

What sort of price did you pay per 100 sheet's ?
    I might look at getting some when I get back off holiday .

Same here, depends on total price.

Never mind, just saw it's UK only.
    Last edited by seezee; 23-Feb-2019 at 18:13. Reason: Reread original post.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig."

seezee at Mercury Photo Bureau
    seezee on Flickr
    seezee's day-job at Messenger Web Design

You should e-mail the seller at the address I gave in order to negotiate the price. Especially if you want several boxes of film.
    Then you have to add on shipping of course, which is probably going to be more if you live somewhere especially distant, like the Isle of Skye.

I have been there & the scenery makes Man feel very small & insignificant. I could easily eat up the 150 sheets I ordered documenting that portion of Scotland.
    I dare say that the same would apply to the Grand Canyon or Yosemite to our members in the US.

Serious Amateur Photographer pepeguitarra's Avatar

How do you handle x-ray film?

I got some x-ray 8x10 film. I read that this film has emulsion on both sides.
    1) How do you go about placing this film on the film holder? Is there any mark on top to show which side has more emulsion?
    2) Doesn't the side that touches the film holder get scratched?
    3) Is it really 8x10? Does it fit the film holder, or is there any change that needs to be made ( cut, etc.?)
    4) What is the ISO of the film?
    5) How can it be developed? time, developer, disposal?
    6) Is there lead on it? Where?
    Last edited by pepeguitarra; 28-Feb-2019 at 07:09. Reason: typo
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones

Re: How do you handle x-ray film?

1 Both sides are the same, so no need of a notch
    2 Sometimes
    3 Fits just like real film
    4 Depends, many start at 80
    5 Start by developing exactly like your last real film
    6 No lead, that lead issue was about Electron Microscope X-Ray film packaged in lead pouches for longevity. Lead disposal is an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by pepeguitarra View Post
    I got some x-ray 8x10 film. I read that this film has emulsion on both sides.
    1) How do you go about placing this film on the film holder? Is there any mark on top to show which side has more emulsion?
    2) Doesn't the side that touches the film holder get scratched?
    3) Is it really 8x10? Does it fit the film holder, or is there any change that needs to be made ( cut, etc.?)
    4) What is the ISO of the film?
    5) How can it be developed? time, developer, disposal?
    6) Is there lead on it? Where?
    Tin Can

The film's emulsion (present on both sides, in most cases) is relatively fragile while dry but scratching can be minimized with careful handling during loading/unloading. The emulsion becomes EXTREMELY fragile during processing. Any kind of physical contact, from sheet film holders or tray bottoms or your grubby mitts, will surely abrade the emulsion. Extended processing times or powerful solutions can actually cause physical loss and sloughing of the emulsion. Try reversal processing of x-ray film if you're feeling brave

ISO is harder to pin down given the orthochromatic nature of the film. With halogen strobes I rate at 80-100 and in full noon sun closer to 200. You can tame contrast by overexposing and pulling development a stop or two (which also helps shorten processing times) but be aware that areas exposed at or near the shoulder of the film's response curve will strongly bleed or 'glow' into adjacent areas due to the lack of an anti-halation layer. This sort of softness is present in all areas, but is particularly pronounced in the shoulder given the quantity of light reflecting back through the emulsion.

The film is nominally designed for 'rapid processing', so solution dilutions or development times can be an order of magnitude away from the standard values. I most commonly develop x-ray in Rodinal 1:100, which for traditional film you would expect a development time of an hour or more, for 6-8 minutes.

There is a GIANT thread about X_ray film. I wish they had kept the Image thread separate from the technical thread but it is their sandbox and we have to live with it. There is a LOT of real good info in their you just have to sit down and wade through. COpy and paste the answers to your questions, that way it is one space and you can focus just on those responses.

I have been haveing good exposure luck at 80, but I also spend most of my photo time between 5000 feet and 11 thousand feet. The sun is brighter up here. On the other hand, my developing process and/or handling is not successful and I have gotten lots of scratches. I am currently going through the thread again trying to address this issue. Good thing this stuff is dirt cheap.

There is one single sided x-ray film available that I know of - Carestream EB-RA. It is available in 8x10 only and s notched as are all panchromatic film. Nominal speed in daylight 100. It is a beautiful film and easier to handle because of the single emulsion.
    Good luck - I am a devoted x-ray film user.

Threads merged.

Jim refers to https://www.zzmedical.com/analog-x-r...ideo-film.html and only that type as there are a few different types with almost the same name.

It was once also available in 14X17 inch 500 sheet cases only.

The 8X10 as Jim states is great to use.

Easy to cut down to any size under the correct safelight.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    There is one single sided x-ray film available that I know of - Carestream EB-RA. It is available in 8x10 only and s notched as are all panchromatic film. Nominal speed in daylight 100. It is a beautiful film and easier to handle because of the single emulsion.
    Good luck - I am a devoted x-ray film user.
    Last edited by Tin Can; 28-Feb-2019 at 10:23. Reason: add 14 x 17 inch
    Tin Can