Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HC-110 new formula? Any comments on performance?

HC-110 new formula? Any comments on performance?

I just purchased a bottle of HC-110 and on the label it says “new formula.” Has anyone noted any changes in the quality of their negatives. Can you use the old dilution and developing tables? Also does anyone know how much developer is needed for 4x5 and 8x10 for the new formula?

Sorry if these questions have already been answered? This is a new formula for me since I haven’t used HC-110 in a while. Thanks for your replies!

Re: HC-110 new formula? Any comments on performance?

I just ran some tests last night using the massive dev chart as a guideline. At least in my experience I will be needing to adjust my process since the results were less than ideal.

The "Massive Development Chart" is not to be used as a Gospel.Obviously it is the results of many users. Base your tests of the "New" developer on your results with the "Old."

I suspect one of the changes is cutting sodium hydroxide as the alkali... I think Rodinal also has this change too... Is probably becoming a no-no chemical in some countries...

They can probably adjust the pH by using more of a weaker alkali, but might not be exactly the same as before....

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    The "Massive Development Chart" is not to be used as a Gospel.Obviously it is the results of many users. Base your tests of the "New" developer on your results with the "Old."
    I don't like using it but it does serve a purpose for baselines. All of this is anecdotal anyway. In my experience I will be adjusting.

Hmm, I'll have to check my bottle to see if it says new formula. It's less than a year old so it may. I thought it did a good job on my 4x5 negatives. I've also developed 120 rolls with it. I posted a tree photo in lets see your trees. It was developed with the hc-110 at 1+31 using the massive dev app. Develope time was 9:00 minutes.

I'm no expert in photo chemistry, but I'm using the "new" HC-110 as my primary developer, and so far can see no difference from the old (which I used expensively) in either processing and keeping. I decant a liter to 250mm brown bottles and use over about six months.
    Bill Poole

"Speak softly, but carry a big camera."

Interesting. I am going out tomorrow to replenish my HC110 and Tmax developer and the rest of my chemicals. My stuff expired 3 years ago, but so far is work same as day I purchased. Anyone have the old and new formulas?

Drew Wiley

I'm still working with original HC-110 bottles over 20 yrs old, with total consistency. But only a six month old track record with one of the several newer substitutes doesn't tell me a whole lot about the keeping properties. Maybe I'll never know, or need to know, the difference.

When the new HC-110 started crystallizing in the bottle I switched to mixing my own D-76H. I had already switched to mixing my own paper developers when a bag of Dektol turned brown. Now the only chems I buy pre-made are selenium toner and photo-flo.