Page 5 of 655 FirstFirst ... 345671555105505 ... LastLast

Thread: Use of X-ray film: technical discussion with example images

Re: X-ray Film example and comparison.

The green sensitive film will give lighter foliage if processed "normally".Here is a crop from an 11x14 green sensitive neg of wild columbine. The flowers are red and foliage is a medium green.

Brian, that looks more like I expected. Thanks.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by photobulley View Post
    The green sensitive film will give lighter foliage if processed "normally".Here is a crop from an 11x14 green sensitive neg of wild columbine. The flowers are red and foliage is a medium green.
    Brian, thanks for giving me this information. It helps if I can visualize the effects. As I recall in a past post you posted a shot done with a soft focus lens that I was very impressed with. This is a very nice image also.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Don Dudenbostel View Post
    I would suggest trying mamography film. It comes in odd sizes but its single coated on one side and fairly durable. I use it in special xray applications and find kodak and agfa to be finer grain than traditional double coated film. I need more contrast in what I do and run it in D19 1:1 and have used HC110 1:31 with good results. You also might try industrial fray film. I think most are single coated and come in sizes that might work well for pano cameras.
    Don, do you have a source for mammography film... I have found very few on-line x-ray product stores that sell it and the ones that do only have Kodak brand which is 4 times the price of regular blue sensitive (8x10). Or perhaps I am looking at the wrong types of suppliers.
    Last edited by wclavey; 23-Apr-2009 at 18:45. Reason: bad typing

Thanks Ed,

That is most helpful. If anybody orders the stainless I would be interested in hearing if it punctures the film or not. Anyhow, it looks like I will be building some tanks.

jason

Quote Originally Posted by EdWorkman View Post
    Here's my answer to Gene, perhaps others can use this info

Hi Gene
    I spent hours a year or so ago surfing the web for info about using Xray film
    Your posts have been most helpful
    In all that info, I found suppliers of hangers - and some very weird sizes
    So you can exhale :>) here are some urls- I didn't post them account I didn't know if they were really of interest
    Stainless with a picture and pricing @ $41.80 each {hmm do one have to buy more than 1?]
    http://www.quickmedical.com/wolf_xra...g_hangers.html
    plastic 14x17, small photo
    this is the hack candidate
    http://www.xraysupercenter.com/show....umParam=PMPH17
    I chased down the manufacturer's site and saw the same photo- can't recall if the type of "poly" is stated anywhere, but if/when I get off my duff into 7x17 I will pop $14 and a hacksaw- if you don't first :>)
    hope this helps you
    regards, and thanks again- keep them coming
    Ed

The best place to find Mamo film cheap is ebay or check with your local hospital or diagnostic center. Most have or are going digital and throwing this film away.

Wes,

Mamography film is expensive. Single sided, orthochromatic. Just like rgular film. Almost.

http://www.zzmedical.com/zencart/fil...-c-28_103.html

I also see x-ray duplicating film. Has anyone used this film in an enlarger to make duplicate negatives for contact printing?
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

I have an idea for some hangers that I am going to try for 11x14. I have some now but they are for regular film. They have a sheet of dimpled plexi that holds the film off of the surface. Another photographer gave them to me with the tanks and I have not used them yet. Like I said I have an idea to make some like the Kodak hangers that I have in 8x10. I'll be sure to post my results with pictures when I get them done. i think I'll try the ones I have now and see if they work.

Jim

Venchka
    I have used what I am morally certain is Xray dupe, albeit "continuous tone direct positive" from Photo Warehouse
    Blue base, round corners...
    It is very slow, but I have, in desperation perhaps, used it in projection mode- Beseler 8x10 cold light. i rescued a 116 size neg that had greatly faded since 1941 or so, and I used the dupe to raise contrast as well as density. Hmm probly the time wasn't that bad for that neg, as it was extremely thin. Other things i tried from more normal old negs, took 5 or more min of exposure.
    Under those extremes I got a fairly gritty look, but a printable negative.

I actually pried myself out of a long funk to develop film yesterday, and if the motivation lasts for a coupla more days [ i hope I hope] I'll go try some prints from more of the enlarged dupes and report further.
    Should work if you have enough time or LOTS of light- The cost-benefit ratio of a 25 sheet package should pay off, I think.

I should add that typically I have processed the xdupe in developers meant for paper- the gallon liquid concentrates from Freestyle and Photwarehouse and most recently [ has it been two years ??? ] the film versions. Developing times are short , in the two minute range, with either and contrast is easier to control with the film version, not surprisingly.
    Here's a watch out.
    These developers can stain paper and mottle dupe film as they weaken/age and water rinse is used for stop- but then I should probably be called a "sloppy worker"....