Thread: Use of X-ray film: technical discussion with example images

Re: Use of X-ray film: technical discussion with example images

https://www.flickr.com/photos/126027782@N03/28242733493
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img121B.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	154260
    Korona Camera (1932), Bausch and Lomb Unicum shutter and lens (1897), 8x10, AGFA X-ray, Blue film, I shot as ISO 100, (f5.6, 1/15) then I run it through a tray of X-ray film T2 developer (diluted 3 times) for just one minutes. The film was transferred to the water tray and after fix for 5 min. After fixation film was washed for 10-15 minutes in running water. Scan Epson V500, merge all images in CS4.

Congratulations on the birth and great photo. well done!

I'm trying to source EU store where to order X-ray film from (which would provide shipping to Finland at reasonable cost) and I come empty handed... Where can one find 18x24cm film in EU these days? Mammography film would be preferred but not required

Thanks guys!
    (stawastawa, Fr. Mark, andrewch59)

Mark,
    astronomy was my gateway to photography as a teenager. Stargazing still gives me more pleasure than most things. But it's rather hard to get to a nice dark sky with all the light pollution we're creating.

andrewch59,
    even though I've been using x-ray film for a long time, one of the main problems I never managed to fix to my satisfaction were the scratches.
    That is, until I found this thread.
    I used to buy 15x30cm film and cut it down to 4x5", which required four successive cuts (I was removing all the round edges). In addition to the too much handling for the cutting part, and because the process was tedious and time consuming, I also used to do it in batches.
    Mistake number two.
    All those sharp edged 4x5" sheets stored in film envelopes, inevitably scratched each other.
    So, after reading some very helpful comments in this thread, I decided to build a camera set-up around a film size available to me locally, instead of trying to make the film fit my 4x5" camera/holders.
    For the past few months I've been using 18x24cm film, which I use either un-cut, or I cut once to 13x18cm.
    In addition to the format change, I now cut, load, unload, and develop each individual sheet separately, instead of storing them all together in film bags (either un-exposed or exposed).
    This way of working, plus the glass bottomed processing trays, seem to have solved the problem of scratches for me.

ValoPeikko,
    Someone mentioned the following site some time ago:
    http://www.bema-kg.de/navi.php?a=150786&lang=eng
    I haven't used them yet though, so cannot comment on how good they are.

Bema doesn't seem to want to ship anywhere other then germany and austria.. Oh well, search continues. I used to purchase my film from local vet, but since they've all gone digital there's no source for me anymore.

Try contacting AGFA I think the are in Belgium?

Ok newbie questions here on X ray film

Please do not ask me to look at over 500 posts to get this answer- yes I am lazy.

I am trying to figure out if this film could work as an Interneg film?? for large scale digital silver negatives .

How would xray film compare to normal ortho film ??

what approx ISO would I be dealing with this film?

Do you think it would work in a laser exposure unit?

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    I am trying to figure out if this film could work as an Interneg film?? for large scale digital silver negatives .
    It should, but I have no experience in this particular area.

How would xray film compare to normal ortho film ??
    Probably quite similar, but it is very fragile (regular, contemporary ortho film probably has a tougher top coat) and the spectral sensitivity might differ from whatever ortho film you compare it to. Note also the difference between green-sensitive and blue-sensitive x-ray film. The former comes closets to regular ortho film.

what approx ISO would I be dealing with this film?
    Generally between 50 and 100, with 80 being a good starting point for further testing.

Do you think it would work in a laser exposure unit?
    Yes, I think so, but you may run into trouble with the double-sided film, as it generally suffers a bit from scattering, which will possibly degrade the recorded detail. You'll have to test it to see if it works and if the results are up to the standards you require.

Your best (safest) bet is probably Ektascan BR/A, which is a single-sided, green-sensitive ('ortho') film with an anti-halation coating on the backside. I think it only comes in 8x10" though. There may be alternatives that share similar properties (single-sided, with anti-halation backing) that come in more sizes, but I'm not familiar with them.

thank You koraks- very nice response

I will see if the Ektascan BR/A can be purchased in 20 inch or 30inch roll, its got to be cut from a master roll.

Bob,

for your task, it may be of some interest that the carrier of the film is couloured, instead of transparent.

I don't believe in a generally classic orthographic sensitivity, because depending on the Xray product, and their excist a lot, the sensivity differ.
    So in my opinion, "The" Xray film doesn't excist.

Best thing may be to study some data sheets and to buy a cheep pack in smaller size, for doing some experiments.

Ritchie