Page 581 of 581 FirstFirst ... 81481531571579580581
Results 5,801 to 5,805 of 5805

Thread: Use of X-ray film: technical discussion with example images

Re: Use of X-ray film: technical discussion with example images

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    I bought three SS 1/2 size chafing trays from Costco, very cheap

I use them only for 7x17

I think it's the same as 20X13
    I just got back from Ikea and I saw these, I thought maybe if someone was looking for 8x10 sizes I think these should work.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/kuggis-...hite-60280205/
    --

Someone can do a better job on this than I can, but the sunny 16 rule is a way of estimating exposures. Xray film will make you think your light meter is lying to you, however, or the estimation rule is wrong. It is only Blue or Blue and Green sensitive so the yellow, orange, and red light late in the day (the golden hour for our color photography friends) will not meter correctly and you'll get under-exposure due to lack of light at the right wavelengths. The closer you get to sunrise or sunset the more exposure you'll need. Warm incandescent (or LED or fluorescents i.e. ones with lower color temperature) will also need a LOT more exposure (maybe 4 stops, maybe more, I don't have my notes here) to come out "right."

Quote Originally Posted by Fr. Mark View Post
    Someone can do a better job on this than I can, but the sunny 16 rule is a way of estimating exposures. Xray film will make you think your light meter is lying to you, however, or the estimation rule is wrong. It is only Blue or Blue and Green sensitive so the yellow, orange, and red light late in the day (the golden hour for our color photography friends) will not meter correctly and you'll get under-exposure due to lack of light at the right wavelengths. The closer you get to sunrise or sunset the more exposure you'll need. Warm incandescent (or LED or fluorescents i.e. ones with lower color temperature) will also need a LOT more exposure (maybe 4 stops, maybe more, I don't have my notes here) to come out "right."
    Ah okay, I see. Does it matter if I do reflective metering or incident reading? I usually use a an old Sekonic one, the studio type one. I'm just used to it.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by ericantonio View Post
    Ah okay, I see. Does it matter if I do reflective metering or incident reading? I usually use a an old Sekonic one, the studio type one. I'm just used to it.
    The type of meter doesn't really matter in this case. It has to do with the percentage of red and blue+green wavelengths available at time of exposure. The more red, the more exposure needed. A good indicator is to reflect the light off the recording side of a CD or DVD. Some practice viewings at various times of day will help make proper decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    The type of meter doesn't really matter in this case. It has to do with the percentage of red and blue+green wavelengths available at time of exposure. The more red, the more exposure needed. A good indicator is to reflect the light off the recording side of a CD or DVD. Some practice viewings at various times of day will help make proper decisions.
    Ahhh, making all sense now!!

Okay, processed 3 sheets. Well, turned out to be 4. I didn't realize I had 2 sheets in one slot. Amateur hour! Turns out that was the best shot too.

First one, yep, I thought I was careful and got scratched
    2n'd one success!! Zero scratches. Until I took it out of wash, and noticed it was 2 sheets. Had to dump one of them in fixer fast cause that was the best one. And handling that one give me a couple of scratches
    3rd one, not bad.

I think they scratch, for me at least, is in the handling after fixer just looking at it and stuff like that. I have to remember, it's cooked, it's baked, I can't go back and stick it in the oven, it is what it is and I'll refrain from looking until I hang it up!

I wound up doing 2 min exposure pinhole, sunny 1pm southern california light, 8 min hc110 B. Looked pretty dense, probably will alt print really well. Rest I did 6 min.
    --