Page 599 of 601 FirstFirst ... 99499549589597598599600601 LastLast
Results 5,981 to 5,990 of 6007

Thread: Use of X-ray film: technical discussion with example images

  1. #5981

    Re: Use of X-ray film: technical discussion with example images

    Eugen,

    Any 18cmx24cm holder (Fidelity, Lisco, etc) should work with your 18x24 film. Don't know about the other sizes. Arca Swiss made very cool film holders in the day

    Sinar Norma 18x24 Lisco Holders by Nokton48, on Flickr

    Sinar Norma 18x24 Lisco Holders XRAY by Nokton48, on Flickr

    I'm a Sinar Norma collector and user (I guess!) and I found these cool Sinar Norma holders in a European auction site. They were not as expensive as some since they had no slides with them. Luckily Catlabs stocks these replacement slides so I am good to go. Kodak 18x24cm MINR seems to what is available, most of mine has come from France. Fits perfectly
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

    “The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

  2. #5982

    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    170

    Re: Use of X-ray film: technical discussion with example images

    Quick question--I've found that the red LED bulb I use as a safelight will quickly fog the Fuji HR-U. I have an old traditional safelight, but its so dar it takes me 5 minutes before I can see anything, and then only barely. I ordered some rubylith (actual Ulano brand) with the idea that I cut out a disk to cover the metal reflecting dish over the LED bulb, then a little black gaffer tape to seal the edges. That should be sufficient to remove whatever is fogging the film, right? Or should I do a double layer? (I'm trying to retain a resonable amount of brightness, with the other safelight, I might as well do it in the dark...)

  3. #5983

    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    93

    Re: Use of X-ray film: technical discussion with example images

    I use a 7w red incandescent darkroom bulb at around 6 feet from the sink. Yes, it takes some time to get used to it. Can you put your led system on a dimmer? Do you know what light wavelengths it produces? But it is entirely possible to develop by inspection. You could look for the bulbs used by x-ray processing rooms too. I don't take a real look at the film until around the 5 minute mark. Fuji UM-MA development has been running around 6-6.5 minutes depending on water temp with Pyrocat-HD 1:1:100.

  4. #5984

    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,668

    Re: Use of X-ray film: technical discussion with example images

    Your red LED is not pure red. There are such available but you have to search.

  5. #5985

    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    170

    Re: Use of X-ray film: technical discussion with example images

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    Your red LED is not pure red. There are such available but you have to search.
    I get that, but I’m hoping putting rubylith on it will tame it. As is, it works perfectly (5 minute penny test) on Ilford paper, but it burns the film with less that 30 seconds exposure.

  6. #5986

    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    170

    Re: Use of X-ray film: technical discussion with example images

    Quote Originally Posted by jmdavis View Post
    I use a 7w red incandescent darkroom bulb at around 6 feet from the sink. Yes, it takes some time to get used to it. Can you put your led system on a dimmer? Do you know what light wavelengths it produces? But it is entirely possible to develop by inspection. You could look for the bulbs used by x-ray processing rooms too. I don't take a real look at the film until around the 5 minute mark. Fuji UM-MA development has been running around 6-6.5 minutes depending on water temp with Pyrocat-HD 1:1:100.
    I’m not sure on the dimmer, but most LEDs don’t work with dimmers. This is the light I’m using:

    https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...27-lumens/440/

    It claims the light is 631nm, but I haven’t seen a sensitivity chart for the X-ray films.

  7. #5987
    Corran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    North GA Mountains
    Posts
    8,224

    Re: Use of X-ray film: technical discussion with example images

    Two things. First, many of us are using that exact LED light, but not getting fogging. The only fogging I've ever had was from a traditional safelight too close to the film. I'm not sure what could be causing the issue unless some kind of change in manufacturing happened or a defect in the bulb? I have two about 5 feet over the trays and haven't had a problem.

    Secondly, I would suggest not using gaff tape or other items on the LED bulb as some bulbs can get very hot. It's usually high-output bulbs that get dangerously hot but better safe than sorry.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

  8. #5988

    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    93

    Re: Use of X-ray film: technical discussion with example images

    Fuji UM-MA film appears to be sensitive at 630nm. See post #5580 on this thread for a chart. I think that you want something between 580-610nm or so. I don't know the wavelength of my delta-jr 7w bulb but I didn't detecting fogging with it.

    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...images/page558

  9. #5989

    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    170

    Re: Use of X-ray film: technical discussion with example images

    Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Two things. First, many of us are using that exact LED light, but not getting fogging. The only fogging I've ever had was from a traditional safelight too close to the film. I'm not sure what could be causing the issue unless some kind of change in manufacturing happened or a defect in the bulb? I have two about 5 feet over the trays and haven't had a problem.

    Secondly, I would suggest not using gaff tape or other items on the LED bulb as some bulbs can get very hot. It's usually high-output bulbs that get dangerously hot but better safe than sorry.
    My bulb is about 6 ft from the work space in a simple metal domed light clamp pointed away from the work area that looks like this:



    I wouldn't be taping the rubylith to the bulb itself, but to the perimeter of the metal dish.

  10. #5990

    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,668

    Re: Use of X-ray film: technical discussion with example images

    Quote Originally Posted by abruzzi View Post
    I get that, but I’m hoping putting rubylith on it will tame it. As is, it works perfectly (5 minute penny test) on Ilford paper, but it burns the film with less that 30 seconds exposure.
    I believe it has some of the yellow part of the spectrum. To me, it isn't worth fooling with. I would get one meant for film, x-ray or orthochromatic.

Similar Threads

  1. Technical Pan Film
    By Jehu in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 22-Apr-2016, 18:42
  2. Images, not technical discussions.
    By rdenney in forum Image Sharing (Everything Else) & Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 23-Jul-2015, 14:16
  3. Replies: 91
    Last Post: 23-Jul-2015, 12:01
  4. T Max 400 Technical Discussion by Sandy King
    By Michael Kadillak in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 7-Feb-2006, 06:08
  5. Discussion: Pyro stain, silver rich film & thick emulsion
    By Pete Caluori in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 22-Nov-2003, 04:39

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •