Page 7 of 655 FirstFirst ... 567891757107507 ... LastLast

Thread: Use of X-ray film: technical discussion with example images

Re: X-ray Film example and comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by EdWorkman View Post
    Xray film is not panchromatic.
    Your eyes will tell you, under a red safelite, if indeed there is any difference at all.
    And if you use a tent or change bag- it doesn't matter- that's why no notches
    X-ray film may not be Panchromatic, but I have had some fogging trying to develop by inspection under a red graphic-arts safelight. (This was blue-sensitive film)

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Forgot to ask this earlier. Are there any reciprocity numbers with the x-ray film? I mean at f-64-90 we are looking at some long exposures. Curious if someone has info on this. Thanks.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    Forgot to ask this earlier. Are there any reciprocity numbers with the x-ray film? I mean at f-64-90 we are looking at some long exposures. Curious if someone has info on this. Thanks.

Jim
    Since reciprocity is not a factor in using these films for Xray applications, I doubt the manufacturers actually publish data such as this. I think it would be more trial and error. Boy I don't know many people that expose at f90. I generally go down to about f32 with 8x10.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene McCluney View Post
    Since reciprocity is not a factor in using these films for Xray applications, I doubt the manufacturers actually publish data such as this. I think it would be more trial and error. Boy I don't know many people that expose at f90. I generally go down to about f32 with 8x10.
    Gene, thanks. I figured some testing was in order. i normally shoot Efke 25 in 8x10, 11x14 and 8x20 and I am usually shooting at F- 32 to F-90 or even 128. I like to take a walk during some of my multi minute exposures. I can see fun and games ahead with x-ray film. Thanks.

Jim

I forgot to ask if there is any issue with this type of film being a couple of years out of date. Is it still good if it is past expiration? I use regular film past date with good results, just wondered if this holds true for x-ray film. Thanks,

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post

Jim
    I have routinely made exposures ranging from 1/8 of a second to a minute using the CXS green-sensitive x-ray film have have not noticed any sort of reciprocity failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Greenberg Motamedi View Post
    I have routinely made exposures ranging from 1/8 of a second to a minute using the CXS green-sensitive x-ray film have have not noticed any sort of reciprocity failure.
    Jason, this is awesome info. Thanks. Have you used any expired stuff. I have some 2 year old stuff on hold pending what everyone says here. Does this stuff hold up past its use date? Thanks.

Jim

I can't say, all of my film is still in date...

Anyhow, I got some really nice results yesterday with 11x14 CXS Green. At twilight at f22 for 28 seconds. I developed them for six minutes in Rodinal 1:200 at 21C and they look great. Best I have had so far. If I can ever figure out how to scan my 11x14s without stitching four together, I will post them...

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Greenberg Motamedi View Post
    I can't say, all of my film is still in date...

Anyhow, I got some really nice results yesterday with 11x14 CXS Green. At twilight at f22 for 28 seconds. I developed them for six minutes in Rodinal 1:200 at 21C and they look great. Best I have had so far. If I can ever figure out how to scan my 11x14s without stitching four together, I will post them...
    Jason sounds great with your results. Like I said i have 500 sheets that I have on hold because the seller forgot to tell me it was past date by 2 years. It will be a good deal but I have never used expired x-ray film and thought I would ask. Does anyone know? If not I may reconsider. Thanks.
    Jim

My 2 cents. I use Kodak Green or any of the rebrands of the same. Also Agfa. I rate at iso 100. I develop in Beutler High Def. dilluted at 1:1/2:8 1/2 for 6 min. at about 68 degrees I find this gives me the best contrast control and gradiation. I don't have a scanner so I can't post any of my results. As a side note, I found this combination also works well with Edu Ultra 200.