Page 422 of 559 FirstFirst ... 322372412420421422423424432472522 ... LastLast
Results 4,211 to 4,220 of 5581

Thread: Use of X-ray film: technical discussion with example images

Re: Use of X-ray film: technical discussion with example images

I have been using X-ray film for close to 10 years, single and double-sided (I prefer double-sided green). I have never had problems developing in flat-bottomed trays with Pyrocat-HD or Rodinal. My development times are 6 to 10 minutes, depending on contrast. I've done rotary, as well as hangers. Very little developer is required for trays. I also did extensive testing stripping double-sided (years ago) and I do not recommend it. The unstripped film looks very nice contact printed as is. This film is also an excellent candidate for carbon transfer printing.

Use of X-ray film: technical discussion with example images

Quote Originally Posted by SergeiR View Post
    eh?
    "I've never had a problem with pinholes on Foma. It is, however, easy to scratch when it's wet of you don't handle it carefully."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk and 100% recycled electrons - because I care.
    My Flickr page

Most blest is he who lives free and bold
    and nurses never a grief,
    for the fearful man is dismayed by aught,
    and the mean one mourns over giving.
    - Hávamál verse 48

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    I have been using X-ray film for close to 10 years, single and double-sided (I prefer double-sided green). I have never had problems developing in flat-bottomed trays with Pyrocat-HD or Rodinal. My development times are 6 to 10 minutes, depending on contrast. I've done rotary, as well as hangers. Very little developer is required for trays. I also did extensive testing stripping double-sided (years ago) and I do not recommend it. The unstripped film looks very nice contact printed as is. This film is also an excellent candidate for carbon transfer printing.
    Just chiming in here about my own experience. I was always getting crazy amounts of scratches on my negatives during tray development, maybe due to a bit too much agitation. Developing using the taco method, while maybe less efficient chemical wise, was much more successful. The lack of scratches and holes in my emulsion were testament to it.

I'm actually waiting for a jobo 2509n in the mail. We'll see if that provides even development sans opportunity for scratching.

Quote Originally Posted by barnacle View Post
    One thing - is it double sided, and if so, what do you do about it?
    Unless it is one of the special purpose x-ray films, e.g., meant for mammography, meant for photography of CRTs, it's safe to assume it is double-sided.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig."

seezee at Mercury Photo Bureau
    seezee on Flickr
    seezee's day-job at Messenger Web Design

Quote Originally Posted by Thodoris Tzalavras View Post
    Does anyone have personal experience with long term storage of (unexposed) x-ray film in the freezer?

Also, that's a good summation Sergei:

1) thanks

2) Well.. as far as storage - I have X-ray that was sitting in cupboard in garage (TX, so its bloody hot in summer, no AC in garage) and it works fine in 2 years time (I been moving around and 3 of boxes with film just never made it into colder rooms, along with some of 4x5 film till last autumn). 2 years is not 10, but..

Just chiming in here about my own experience. I was always getting crazy amounts of scratches on my negatives during tray development, maybe due to a bit too much agitation. Developing using the taco method, while maybe less efficient chemical wise, was much more successful. The lack of scratches and holes in my emulsion were testament to it.

I'm actually waiting for a jobo 2509n in the mail. We'll see if that provides even development sans opportunity for scratching.
    The key is gentle agitation.

Quote Originally Posted by SergeiR View Post
    Well.. as far as storage - I have X-ray that was sitting in cupboard in garage (TX, so its bloody hot in summer, no AC in garage) and it works fine in 2 years time (I been moving around and 3 of boxes with film just never made it into colder rooms, along with some of 4x5 film till last autumn). 2 years is not 10, but..
    Sergei, it has happened to me too. To forget a half-full box of x-ray film in a drawer in the darkroom for a couple of years.
    I didn't run any comparison tests with fresh film to see how much it was affected (fogged etc), but it definitely worked, in terms of producing useable negatives.

But, I was thinking more in terms of stocking up.
    After reading Randy Moe's post about China going digital, I thought of investigating the possibility of putting a dozen (or two) boxes in the freezer for when "winter" comes.

Quote Originally Posted by Thodoris Tzalavras View Post
    Sergei, it has happened to me too. To forget a half-full box of x-ray film in a drawer in the darkroom for a couple of years.
    I didn't run any comparison tests with fresh film to see how much it was affected (fogged etc), but it definitely worked, in terms of producing useable negatives.

But, I was thinking more in terms of stocking up.
    After reading Randy Moe's post about China going digital, I thought of investigating the possibility of putting a dozen (or two) boxes in the freezer for when "winter" comes.
    I don't think anybody knows how long X-Ray film lasts, frozen or not.

One very good reason is liability. Medical users would be very stupid to store and use outdated X-Ray film. What if the old film didn't show medical conditions? Malpractice. Lawsuit!

The second is, how long have 'normal' photographers used X-Ray? Not that long it seems, as this thread is only 7 years old.

Three, my boxes of X-Ray, and I may have too much, say store at 50-75 F =10-25 C at 30-50 RH. Notice the range is well above freezing.

The only film I have frozen is old sealed color film I got from a freezer and all the opened boxes of that film were destroyed, perhaps by freezer thawing, freezer burn or power outages.

I am not a believer in freezing film, but many are.

And don't freeze Fujiroid, that is known. I have a quantity of 8X10 Polaroid with dried pouches...

Good luck.
    sin eater

At least one person has tried freezing Fuji instant and reported no problems at all as long as it was stored horizontally when frozen. The article is on the net somewhere. It was linked in one of the APUG threads about the discontinuation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk and 100% recycled electrons - because I care.
    My Flickr page

Most blest is he who lives free and bold
    and nurses never a grief,
    for the fearful man is dismayed by aught,
    and the mean one mourns over giving.
    - Hávamál verse 48

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    At least one person has tried freezing Fuji instant and reported no problems at all as long as it was stored horizontally when frozen. The article is on the net somewhere. It was linked in one of the APUG threads about the discontinuation.

I have Fuji FP series that was frozen, by the Pro that gave it to me. It has been OK. But they don't recommend it. The frozen Polaroid from the same donor is ruined garbage.

The big difference I see is packaging. Fuji seals in metallic foil and Polaroid a sealed paper.

But this thread is about X-Ray and Fujiroid is an entirely different thing.
    sin eater