Page 92 of 655 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102142192592 ... LastLast

Thread: Use of X-ray film: technical discussion with example images

(Shrek)

Re: X-ray Film example and comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by SMBooth View Post
    Jody if the back of the film is touching the drum it will mark the film, but yes the ridges do allow even development to the back
    I've found someone locally with 3 drums of unknown brand and vintage, and a Patterson motor. I'm going to see it all Monday, I may make a major change in my routine. But frankly my x-ray negs are all so badly scratched that they're unusable, unless they're of a minimalist composition where I can clone out entire sections of the image.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Stop with the drums and all of the complications, please!!! I have been developing 8x10 x-ray film in TANKS for a long time. Over 200 sheets. Don't reinvent the wheel. Scratch free negative can be easy if you pay attention while loading and unloading and develop them in hangers and tanks period! Take my advice or continue to make yourself crazy with scratches. Sorry for the rant but come on now!

I've done about 100 sheets of 8x10, all in a BTZS tube. I don't even try to not scratch the rear emulsion when I put it in, but I simply strip that image with bleach. I don't know why some are so afraid of the stripping. It takes me 30 seconds with bleach diluted 1:1 with water. Other than when I do something dumb, I don't have any scratches on the front emulsion.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    Stop with the drums and all of the complications, please!!! I have been developing 8x10 x-ray film in TANKS for a long time. Over 200 sheets. Don't reinvent the wheel. Scratch free negative can be easy if you pay attention while loading and unloading and develop them in hangers and tanks period! Take my advice or continue to make yourself crazy with scratches. Sorry for the rant but come on now!

Poor Jim has been telling us this for a very long time, even in English. It works. And it's a pleasant way to develop any sheet film very sharply (semi-stand) it seems to me (at least so far based upon growing but still limited experience).

Quote Originally Posted by JMB View Post
    Poor Jim has been telling us this for a very long time, even in English. It works. And it's a pleasant way to develop any sheet film very sharply (semi-stand) it seems to me (at least so far based upon growing but still limited experience).
    Well I'll admit that I have been collecting stuff to do it.

I've been using green x-ray film for about 3-years now. I find that the combination of tank development, Pyrocat (I use the PC version), and care in loading the film holders yields negatives that are almost always scratch free.
    juan

Quote Originally Posted by Holdenrichards View Post

1903 Eastman View No. 1 - Schneider Symmar S 240mm - f/45 - Kodak B/RA X-Ray Film - 8x10 Film - HC 110 1+200 - Unaltered Negative Scan
    Looking great! Is this straight HC-110 1+200 or did you end up adding anything? I am going to try your process with the 2-sided X-ray film and see how it works out.

Re: Images shot on X-ray film

I added a restrainer, 1ml of kBr to 1000ml of developer...

Quote Originally Posted by Holdenrichards View Post
    I added a restrainer, 1ml of kBr to 1000ml of developer...
    Thank you!

Re: Images shot on X-ray film

I didn't know KBr came as a liquid. I have this white powder KBr I could use, and if the S.G. is the same would equal 1 mg per liter of developer... any thoughts???