Page 558 of 596 FirstFirst ... 58458508548556557558559560568 ... LastLast
Results 5,571 to 5,580 of 5960

Thread: Use of X-ray film: technical discussion with example images

  1. #5571
    Philippe Grunchec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Paris (France, not Texas)
    Posts
    342

    Re: Use of X-ray film: technical discussion with example images

    Here in Europe we only get the 18x24cm version, that's why I was asking! I'd love to get it in 8x10"...
    "I believe there is nothing more disturbing than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept!" (Ansel Adams)

    https://philippe.grunchec-photographe.over-blog.com/

  2. #5572

    Re: Use of X-ray film: technical discussion with example images

    Quote Originally Posted by Scyg View Post
    Green is orthochromatic, blue is just blue-sensitive. That should make a huge difference in tonality. Anyway, just ordered some green Fujifilm from ZZ. Worst case scenario will have lots of practice film.
    It really does seem to depend. I've looked at the spectral sensitivity charts for Ektascan B/RA and UM-MA (a supposedly green-sensitive mammography film), and both are almost identical across the graph, despite differences in the way they are advertised. I would assume that HR-U and others are very similar. I'm currently awaiting a test box of some expired UM-MA, which should be in the mail right now. If it works out, I'll let everyone here know.

    Fujifilm UM-MA is, by case, slightly cheaper than Ektascan B/RA. It has roughly the same spectral sensitivity, and possesses single-sided emulsion The only major disadvantage is that it comes in 18x24cm or 24x30cm sheets. This means that one has to cut it down rather wastefully, if they are turning it into 4x5 sheets. At 427$ for a case of 24x30cm sheets, it will work out to being about .30 CAD per sheet before shipping, which beats Ektascan B/RA by 2 cents CAD per cut-down 4x5 sheet.


    Quote Originally Posted by Dugan View Post
    Look for Agfa Mamoray HDR-C Plus...its single sided. Looks like it comes in 24x30 cm.
    Agfa Mamoray, as I discovered, does have a different spectral sensitivity profile. You can see it here: https://medimg.agfa.com/dach/wp-cont...R-C_Plus-3.pdf. For normal photographic purposes, it should not be very different from any of the others, excepting that it is much less sensitive to UV light. This may prove to be an advantage for many of you. In my case, this is actually a problem.

  3. #5573
    Tin Can's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    16,811

    Re: Use of X-ray film: technical discussion with example images

    What is your supplier?

    Does UM-MA have anti-halation layer?


    Quote Originally Posted by senderoaburrido View Post
    It really does seem to depend. I've looked at the spectral sensitivity charts for Ektascan B/RA and UM-MA (a supposedly green-sensitive mammography film), and both are almost identical across the graph, despite differences in the way they are advertised. I would assume that HR-U and others are very similar. I'm currently awaiting a test box of some expired UM-MA, which should be in the mail right now. If it works out, I'll let everyone here know.

    Fujifilm UM-MA is, by case, slightly cheaper than Ektascan B/RA. It has roughly the same spectral sensitivity, and possesses single-sided emulsion The only major disadvantage is that it comes in 18x24cm or 24x30cm sheets. This means that one has to cut it down rather wastefully, if they are turning it into 4x5 sheets. At 427$ for a case of 24x30cm sheets, it will work out to being about .30 CAD per sheet before shipping, which beats Ektascan B/RA by 2 cents CAD per cut-down 4x5 sheet.




    Agfa Mamoray, as I discovered, does have a different spectral sensitivity profile. You can see it here: https://medimg.agfa.com/dach/wp-cont...R-C_Plus-3.pdf. For normal photographic purposes, it should not be very different from any of the others, excepting that it is much less sensitive to UV light. This may prove to be an advantage for many of you. In my case, this is actually a problem.
    Images vastly preferred

    not game trying to


    focus


    In Time

  4. #5574

    Re: Use of X-ray film: technical discussion with example images

    Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    What is your supplier?

    Does UM-MA have anti-halation layer?
    If I recall correctly from the datasheet I found, it does. ZZ Medical sells it, only by the case.

  5. #5575
    Tin Can's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    16,811

    Re: Use of X-ray film: technical discussion with example images

    I doubt it does, I read the Data sheet, no mention

    Ektascan was made for photographing CRT screens, anti-halation would be good for that, not sure if Mammography screens would need or want it

    https://www.breastcancer.org/symptom...mmograms/types

    Nonetheless, the ZZ price is good, but the wait is long

    I now worry any business may disappear shortly, every $$$ counts now


    Quote Originally Posted by senderoaburrido View Post
    If I recall correctly from the datasheet I found, it does. ZZ Medical sells it, only by the case.
    Images vastly preferred

    not game trying to


    focus


    In Time

  6. #5576
    Recovering Leica Addict seezee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Oklahoma City metro area
    Posts
    425

    Re: Use of X-ray film: technical discussion with example images

    Quote Originally Posted by Scyg View Post
    Green is orthochromatic, blue is just blue-sensitive. That should make a huge difference in tonality. Anyway, just ordered some green Fujifilm from ZZ. Worst case scenario will have lots of practice film.
    +1 on this.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig."

    seezee at Mercury Photo Bureau
    seezee on Flickr
    seezee's day-job at Messenger Web Design

  7. #5577

    Re: Use of X-ray film: technical discussion with example images

    Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    I doubt it does, I read the Data sheet, no mention

    Ektascan was made for photographing CRT screens, anti-halation would be good for that, not sure if Mammography screens would need or want it

    https://www.breastcancer.org/symptom...mmograms/types

    Nonetheless, the ZZ price is good, but the wait is long

    I now worry any business may disappear shortly, every $$$ counts now
    I'm happy to say that you're incorrect. It's on the datasheet.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	UM-MA.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	17.6 KB 
ID:	203727


    I also found a paper where B/RA and UM-MA are directly compared (https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/12529443.pdf), which does buttress my case that they are probably roughly analogous. I encourage anyone to review the datasheets of both. Their spectral sensitivity profiles are nearly identical. By most metrics they are analogous, save for the formats they come in.

  8. #5578
    Tin Can's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    16,811

    Re: Use of X-ray film: technical discussion with example images

    Good news

    Thank you

    Quote Originally Posted by senderoaburrido View Post
    I'm happy to say that you're incorrect. It's on the datasheet.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	UM-MA.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	17.6 KB 
ID:	203727


    I also found a paper where B/RA and UM-MA are directly compared (https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/12529443.pdf), which does buttress my case that they are probably roughly analogous. I encourage anyone to review the datasheets of both. Their spectral sensitivity profiles are nearly identical. By most metrics they are analogous, save for the formats they come in.
    Images vastly preferred

    not game trying to


    focus


    In Time

  9. #5579

    Re: Use of X-ray film: technical discussion with example images

    As for the wait at ZZ, I called them and specifically asked about this film. They told me that the wait time posted on their site was inaccurately long.

  10. #5580

    Re: Use of X-ray film: technical discussion with example images

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BRA-spec.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	203733Click image for larger version. 

Name:	um-ma-spec.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	203734

    Here are the two spectral sensitivity graphs side-by-side.

Similar Threads

  1. Technical Pan Film
    By Jehu in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 22-Apr-2016, 18:42
  2. Images, not technical discussions.
    By rdenney in forum Image Sharing (Everything Else) & Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 23-Jul-2015, 14:16
  3. Replies: 91
    Last Post: 23-Jul-2015, 12:01
  4. T Max 400 Technical Discussion by Sandy King
    By Michael Kadillak in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 7-Feb-2006, 06:08
  5. Discussion: Pyro stain, silver rich film & thick emulsion
    By Pete Caluori in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 22-Nov-2003, 04:39

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •