Page 269 of 658 FirstFirst ... 169219259267268269270271279319369 ... LastLast
Results 2,681 to 2,690 of 6574

Thread: Use of X-ray film: technical discussion with example images

  1. #2681
    Large Format Rocks ImSoNegative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    McCaysville Georgia
    Posts
    1,618

    Re: Images shot on X-ray film

    I have actually shot up to 10 sec with no problem whatsoever, I wasn't sure about the reciprocity either so I just went by what the meter said, turned out fine. I was using green sensitive fuji
    "WOW! Now thats a big camera. By the way, how many megapixels is that thing?"

  2. #2682

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    56

    Re: Images shot on X-ray film

    Anyone tried to clear one side of the xray? I'm tired of the scratches on one side of the film. Cheers.

  3. #2683

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    5,308

    Re: Images shot on X-ray film

    Quote Originally Posted by Max Hao View Post
    Anyone tried to clear one side of the xray? I'm tired of the scratches on one side of the film. Cheers.
    Yup, it's pretty easy, it's basically the same as when you have to bleach a Polaroid Fuji negative.

    You find a nice piece of glass, actually I just use newsprint but that's just me most people like to have a much harder surface, anyway you get some plastic tape that's really good and you just line the edges so that it's taped against the glass or the paper quite enough that any runoff doesn't see through to the other side and make sure it's completely flat so that not a single little crack in the taping can allow any kind of liquid to get to the other side, anyway then you just poor bunch of bleach on top, a lot of people like to use the gel bleach but I found no problem using regular old Clorox bleach, then you simply take the paper towel and wipe off the emulsion.

    When you're done and it's completely clear on one side, you take the whole piece and rinse it off under tapwater so that all the bleach is gone, and then take the tape off and then wash it again just to be sure none of the bleach is on the edge line, make sure that you don't wet the other side because you don't want contaminated bleach to touch the actual good side of the film. Then simply hanging to dry like you would normally.

    That's what I do anyway.

    PS it was too much to type and I'm on my phone, so I ended up dictating this with Siri, so if there's any words that seem off, that's why. Good luck!

  4. #2684

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    56

    Re: Images shot on X-ray film

    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Yup, it's pretty easy, it's basically the same as when you have to bleach a Polaroid Fuji negative.

    You find a nice piece of glass, actually I just use newsprint but that's just me most people like to have a much harder surface, anyway you get some plastic tape that's really good and you just line the edges so that it's taped against the glass or the paper quite enough that any runoff doesn't see through to the other side and make sure it's completely flat so that not a single little crack in the taping can allow any kind of liquid to get to the other side, anyway then you just poor bunch of bleach on top, a lot of people like to use the gel bleach but I found no problem using regular old Clorox bleach, then you simply take the paper towel and wipe off the emulsion.

    When you're done and it's completely clear on one side, you take the whole piece and rinse it off under tapwater so that all the bleach is gone, and then take the tape off and then wash it again just to be sure none of the bleach is on the edge line, make sure that you don't wet the other side because you don't want contaminated bleach to touch the actual good side of the film. Then simply hanging to dry like you would normally.

    That's what I do anyway.

    PS it was too much to type and I'm on my phone, so I ended up dictating this with Siri, so if there's any words that seem off, that's why. Good luck!
    Many thanks, StoneNYC. Very timely. I'll get some bleach and try out.
    Cheers.
    Max

  5. #2685

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    5,308

    Re: Images shot on X-ray film

    Quote Originally Posted by Max Hao View Post
    Many thanks, StoneNYC. Very timely. I'll get some bleach and try out.
    Cheers.
    Max
    I always found it very easy, but I've heard others say that it's very difficult for them, so depends on if you have somebody fingers, and whether that's easy or not, I literally just use paper towel to rub off the emulsion, it's soft and you can throw it away after.

    That said I suggest you attempt this first on a negative you don't care about just to be safe.

  6. #2686
    Lee Smathers
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Daegu, South Korea
    Posts
    371

    Re: Images shot on X-ray film

    Quote Originally Posted by tenderobject View Post
    Wow Lee! Your portraits are awesome. Are these image from scanned prints?
    Can you share any tip on contact printing X-ray film to Silver Gelatin Paper? Filters, Time, etc

    Thanks!
    Thanks! Contact printing times are going to be different for each paper, developer, machine, lens, aperture, and distance to paper. I'm using a Zone VI VC enlarger at the moment, but almost finished setting up my Omega D5 which, from there on out, I'll be using for making contact prints because the Zone VI bulbs aren't made anymore. For these recent portraits, I've been doing "split filtering" the green bulb for the highlights and the blue bulb for the shadow value.

  7. #2687

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,856

    Re: X-ray Film example and comparison.

    I wonder if anyone has any experience with pencil retouching on x-ray film. I am doing mostly portraits, and there is a definite advantage to doing some old-fashioned retouching. I do know that it was traditionally done on the back, on films made for retouching, or after applying a varnish dope layer for tooth. I tried pencil on one side of my double-sided Fuji green, and it went on quite nicely, which makes me wonder why not to retouch on the emulsion side (since I don't have a choice, both sides being emulsion :-)

    Anyway, it sure would save a lot of Photoshop time, I think.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

  8. #2688
    Peter De Smidt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Fond du Lac, WI, USA
    Posts
    9,095

    Re: X-ray Film example and comparison.

    Well done, Vince!
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

  9. #2689

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    4

    Re: X-ray Film example and comparison.

    Deat x-ray film users!
    I will try to shoot with x-ray film. I need som help please:
    Which one to try first? Do you have any experience with them? Fuji IX100, Fuji IX80, Agfa CP-GU, FUJI UM-MA Hc, KODAK MIN-R. Do you think FUJI UM-MA Hc will be the best? Do you have any problem with Fuji?
    I know NIF: no protection between films. EP/PB wacuum sealed? Have you this?
    High contrast... they saying. I it good for photos?
    What kind of foxer are u using? I will try caffenol developer.

  10. #2690

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    285

    Re: X-ray Film example and comparison.

    I am looking for thr same, the seller here tells me that Kodak has stopped xray and its now rebadged as something else, would that be true?

Similar Threads

  1. Technical Pan Film
    By Jehu in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 22-Apr-2016, 18:42
  2. Images, not technical discussions.
    By rdenney in forum Image Sharing (Everything Else) & Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 23-Jul-2015, 14:16
  3. Replies: 91
    Last Post: 23-Jul-2015, 12:01
  4. T Max 400 Technical Discussion by Sandy King
    By Michael Kadillak in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 7-Feb-2006, 06:08
  5. Discussion: Pyro stain, silver rich film & thick emulsion
    By Pete Caluori in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 22-Nov-2003, 04:39

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •