Page 255 of 655 FirstFirst ... 155205245253254255256257265305355 ... LastLast
Results 2,541 to 2,550 of 6546

Thread: Use of X-ray film: technical discussion with example images

Re: Images shot on X-ray film

Some X-Ray film shots i made here recently.
    The first shot was taken with Mamiya Yellow Filter to tame the contrast and yes it helps quite a bit.
    Any other filters i could use for X-Ray film for landscape?

Kodak Master View 8x10 + Fujinon 250mm 6.7 + Fuji HRT Green + Ilford ID-11 + Yellow Filter
    1+3 8-9mins @ 20C EI 100

Kodak Master View 8x10 + Fujinon 250mm 6.7 + Fuji HRT Green + Ilford ID-11
    1+3 8-9mins @ 20C EI 100

Kodak Master View 8x10 + Fujinon 250mm 6.7 + Fuji HRT Green + Ilford ID-11
    1+3 8-9mins @ 20C EI 100

Sx70 in available light.

2014-LF810-005.jpg by HoodedOne, on Flickr

Camera: Cambo SC 8x10
    Lens: Agfa Repromaster 213/9.25
    Film: Fuji HRT-Super X-ray film
    Exposure: 14 sec. @ f9.25
    Development: Rodinal 1+100 for 6 min. (constant agitation)

The leather on the SX70 is dark red. So it turns almost black on X-ray film

Hello everyone, name is Jeromie,

This is my first post to the xRay thread. From all of the reading I did here, and the good looking images, I decided to start shooting 8x10 once again (after about 13 years away). This is my oldest Son, Matthew. Shot this yesterday.

KMV, 360mm f/9 Kowa Graphic
    Agfa Green, rated at 320 (60th at f/11)
    Open shade on his face, noontime sunlight on the side of his head
    Placed his face on Zone VI
    HC110 Dil B
    70 degrees, Nitrogen burst on hangers, 2 second bursts, 10 seconds apart for 5 minutes. No presoak.

Copy shot with my Nikon D2x and a 35mm f/2 Nikkor. Some PS3 dodging and a slight tone (none of this really comes thru like it did on my old Apple G5). Should have the silver print made by this weekend. Was chasing film speed all weekend long, then StoneNYC gave me a clue - the 100 on the side of the box wasn't the ASA, it was the number of sheets in the box (I'm such a dope).
    8X10 Kodak Master View
    250mm Fujinon f/6.7
    360mm Graphic Kowa f/9

Quote Originally Posted by jbrianfoto View Post
    Hello everyone, name is Jeromie,

This is my first post to the xRay thread. From all of the reading I did here, and the good looking images, I decided to start shooting 8x10 once again (after about 13 years away). This is my oldest Son, Matthew. Shot this yesterday.

KMV, 360mm f/9 Kowa Graphic
    Agfa Green, rated at 320 (60th at f/11)
    Open shade on his face, noontime sunlight on the side of his head
    Placed his face on Zone VI
    HC110 Dil B
    70 degrees, Nitrogen burst on hangers, 2 second bursts, 10 seconds apart for 5 minutes. No presoak.

Copy shot with my Nikon D2x and a 35mm f/2 Nikkor. Some PS3 dodging and a slight tone (none of this really comes thru like it did on my old Apple G5). Should have the silver print made by this weekend. Was chasing film speed all weekend long, then StoneNYC gave me a clue - the 100 on the side of the box wasn't the ASA, it was the number of sheets in the box (I'm such a dope).
    Haha great job! Looks like a little light leak fogging on his forehead? Or lens flare?

Yeah, for some reason even though it's so simple, there's not a lot of discussion about the different speeds and the colors, and it's sort of like one of those things where once you know it it's sort of obvious so it's not really needed to be discussed and so of course the information is hard to track down, plus a lot of people just use their own personal EI's anyway.

There's also the double-sided emulsion factor, so some cool strip one side of the film and then of course the density is reduced and so that changes the printing and total exposure anyway, so it's just a baseline to go off of course and then you have to do your own fiddling, and as others have mentioned there are a few single-sided x-ray films out there.

My best friend is an x-ray technician so he gave me a few bits of information you might find interesting, the reason for having a double-sided emulsion is very simple, by having twice he amount of emulsion, the amount of x-ray that is needed to expose the film is then cut in half, this enables them to less x-ray wavelength into a person's body therefore reducing the risk of any kind of issues related to sending lots of X-ray radiation through the human body. So using the green x-ray film on a person is going to give them the least amount of exposure to x-ray radiation which is of course a good thing, but I guess for some purposes they needed to increase that for whatever reason so they have a few different kinds.

The light face was my fault, little too much dodging - the straight PS3 inversion made his skin tones come out about 2 stops too dark, but that could be because of bad digital exposure. I was shooting right into the sun though. Until I can make a silver print which is exposed for maximum black on the negatives edge for minimum time, I won't know if my exposure was right. I have a Mercedes diesel the needs my attention this coming weekend, I hope I can carve out some printing time too.
    8X10 Kodak Master View
    250mm Fujinon f/6.7
    360mm Graphic Kowa f/9

I no longer recommend stripping double-sided xray film. After testing and more testing, the tones look weak and image appears to be grainier. To the eye, the unstripped film image looks just fine.

Any other filters i could use for X-Ray film for landscape?
    Tenderobject,

I have used various yellow filters up to a wratten #15, as well as wratten #11 (green) which is my favourite, on green latitude film.

Thank you! I've tried using yellow filter with a portrait and it helps minimize the contrast. Too bad my yellow filter was dirty when i shoot last time!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    Tenderobject,

I have used various yellow filters up to a wratten #15, as well as wratten #11 (green) which is my favourite, on green latitude film.

Kodak Master View 8x10 + Fuji HRT Green X-ray Film + Ilford ID-11

Lee Smathers

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    I no longer recommend stripping double-sided xray film. After testing and more testing, the tones look weak and image appears to be grainier. To the eye, the unstripped film image looks just fine.
    I never strip my double-sided x-ray negatives.