Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Speed Graphic 4 x 5 Anniversary focus prob

Re: Speed Graphic 4 x 5 Anniversary focus prob

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kennedy View Post
    I finally got some sheet film yesterday so today I decided to go out and take a shot or two today.

While I was out there trying to focus, it seems that going to infinity the camera does not appear to 100% focus at infinity - maybe 99% or there about: enough to see that it is not 100% using the range finder and the ground glass.

Since I do not have a manual, nor have I ever used this camera before, is there a micro adjustment I can make? It seems to me that for the most part I will be focusing to infinity (scenery shots).

If I focus on something closer it appears to focus 100% but if it doesnt focus precisely when going to infinity - will the camera be actually 100% in focus when I focus on something closer? (confusing myself here lol!)

I havent developed that one sheet yet since I didnt have any fixer mixed (do now though) so I dont know if the finale image is actually in focus or not. I'm just going with what I see looking through the g/g and the r/f.

If anyone knows of a adjustment, please share with me (a photo would be perfect too)! I loved the experience of finally using that camera except for the focus part...Id hate to be turned off from this camera esp after the initial purchase of the camera, purchase of 2 boxes of film (25 sheets each), and some film holders.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Derek
    The RF images may be out of register in one plane; as long as the images coincide in the direction of travel, that is all that matters. The other image may be distracting, and can be adjusted to superimpose exactly. But that has nothing to do with accurate focus.

2 things to think about. 1. What is the lens on your camera? The standard lens would probably be a 135mm Schneider Xenar, or a 135mm Graflex Optar. If it is any focal length other than 135mm, then probably the lens has been changed and the rangefinder will not work properly. Serious photographers always focus on the ground glass, though.

2. Turning on the safelight at the very end of the development cycle should do no harm, as long as you go right into the stop bath or water rinse. You should have not developed any fog.

Noobie to LF

Gene:

The lens is a Kodak Ektar 127mmf 4.7/ No. 2 Kodak Supermatic Graphic lens.

The safe light came on just as I was putting the film into the stop bath and it seems that no fogging occured. It was only on for maybe 3 seconds at the most as I scrambled to turn it off.

I just scanned the first image and it looks pretty good. The sharpness doesnt look too bad either really. I had to scan it twice then stitch the image together as I dont have a proper scanner to scan 4x5 negs.

The second image IS oof but that was pretty much my fault. I used the gg but no loup was used to aid me in focusing.

A cop came around to where I was photographing turned in so I thought he was going to stop me but he didnt actually stop: he just used small the parking right close to me lot to turn around and he left again. I thought for sure I was going to get into an argument with him.

Gene:

A cop came around to where I was photographing turned in so I thought he was going to stop me but he didnt actually stop: he just used small the parking right close to me lot to turn around and he left again. I thought for sure I was going to get into an argument with him.
    Were you in an area that was No Trespassing? If not, you really have nothing to worry about from a cop. It is a free country. I have photographed almost 1000 bridges in Arkansas, Missouri and Oklahoma and I have never encountered any resistance, just curiosity sometimes, and offers of assistance if my car is broke down. You should conduct yourself like you are "supposed" to be where you are, and be confident and friendly. I set up and shoot 8x10 and 5x7 outside on these rural location shoots and it takes me a while. No problems. I also set out some Orange traffic cones I purchased from the hardware store (Ace Hardware) so I look official.

Noobie to LF

I was on an area of grass that could be construed as 'private' or 'boulevard' as it was so close to being on the side of the road but its a moot point. I got permission from the owner a few months ago to photograph the subject (one room school house that he had moved to the current location when it was going to be torn down as it was too close to the end of a airport runway).

I made the assumption that he was going to bother me but I just carried on like I didnt see him and he ended up leaving with out any problem.

I'm in Canada, I have the right to photograph. I also have the right to photograph anything seen from public (with the usual exceptions like military bases, nuclear plants - that sort of thing). Trespassing is obviously a no-no though and I respect peoples property. Id prefer to get permission to enter the property if I really need to.

Excellent idea on the traffic cones. Id add the use of one of those bright orange safety vests which I occasionally have done myself - really make you look official. Maybe even have a clip board handy. Never sees the traffic cones for sale though.

Excellent idea on the traffic cones. Id add the use of one of those bright orange safety vests which I occasionally have done myself - really make you look official. Maybe even have a clip board handy. Never sees the traffic cones for sale though.
    The Traffic Cone Store:

http://www.trafficsafetystore.com/Su...FQoMDQodYhEtwg

Noobie to LF

Ha! Thanks Gene!

I was going to ask around to see if I could get any locally - we have a Safety store here that I think may have them. I'll check out that link just in case tho.