Thread: Hi from Seattle

Hi from Seattle

Hi all, I've been lurking around here for quite a while now (well, about a year) and registered before I acquired any large format gear myself. I've been shooting a bit of Large Format now since last summer (2008) and I really love it, especially now that I've worked out some major bugs with my camera.

I'm using a Tachihara 4x5, and have ended up with 90, 150, and 210mm lenses in my collection now.

I'm a bit of a social recluse, which means I like to be out there shooting quiet landscapes. I started off just trying to take better photos of places I was visiting/vacation shots... that kind of thing, but the photography bug quickly took over as my driving force.

You can find my photography at:
    www.tylerwestcott.com or www.flickr.com/photos/mumbleyjoe

and specifically my large format shots at
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/mumbley...7607910760502/

I have much much much to learn, but know that I'm in the right place to do that.

(also, I've never met another large format shooter in person, and therefore never been out shooting with another LF shooter. It's certainly tough keeping up with someone else when they're only shooting digital - which I also do)

Re: Hi from Seattle

Welcome to group therepy, Joe!

We use the 12-step program here, except instead of curing you of being a LF photographer, it increases your addiction. Once into the program, your addiction becomes absolute to where you camera bag is always by the front door ready on the moment's notice the light is "just right" and you have to go. And you'll know you've fallen into the abyss of LF photography when you starting wondering about adding equipment.

Then not even loved ones can save you. And then when there's talk about vacations, you'll say, "I wonder where I could take the camera. There's gotta be good shots to take."
    --Scott--

Scott M. Knowles, MS-Geography
    scott@wsrphoto.com

"All things merge into one, and a river flows through it."
    - Norman MacLean

Welcome Tyler! I just spent a very relaxing 30 minutes looking at your images and bookmarked it as I ran out of time. I really love your Southwest shots and especially your night views. I almost always prefer B&W but I think your color is beautiful.

"I wonder where I could take the camera. There's gotta be good shots to take."
    Man, does that ever sound about right! Glad to know there's good addiction-feeding support here.

Really what I need is to get out of my winter slump and start exploring more of Washington (I just moved here from California in the fall) - I know I'm surrounded by beauty here, but wet gray winter days seem to keep me in the house, which is just sad.

Tori, thanks very much for the kind words. My last major photography outting was to the southwest a couple months ago, so all my most recently posted images are from then. I HOPE to start posting some more diverse work again soon.

Quote Originally Posted by MumbleyJoe View Post
    Really what I need is to get out of my winter slump and start exploring more of Washington (I just moved here from California in the fall) - I know I'm surrounded by beauty here, but wet gray winter days seem to keep me in the house, which is just sad.
    Welcome to the great northwest. And despite the continual overcast (just a myth really), "It's always sunny. The clouds only hide that fact." And adjust the exposure accordingly. And, "The rain doesn't dampen your spirit. Only makes you buy a better rainsuit." And lastly, real northwesterners don't use umbrellas, "That's why God invented hats."
    --Scott--

Scott M. Knowles, MS-Geography
    scott@wsrphoto.com

"All things merge into one, and a river flows through it."
    - Norman MacLean

Welcome! Maybe I'll see you out there...