Thread: one shot developer

one shot developer

I've got some Fotospeed FD10 one shot developer, which I use on 120 film, my question is how many sheets of 4x5 counts as one shot?

bob

Re: one shot developer

Quote Originally Posted by robert fallis View Post
    I've got some Fotospeed FD10 one shot developer, which I use on 120 film, my question is how many sheets of 4x5 counts as one shot?

bob
    One-Shot simply means that you use the working strength developer once and then discard it. Just process as many sheets as is practical in the developer all at the same time, depending on your tank or tray capacity.

You need to get the data sheet for the developer and see what the coverage is.

For each 120 roll, you should be able to count 3 (and a bit) sheets; for each 35mm 36exp roll, count on 4 sheets.

The way I read "one shot" is that you can develop, with the correct amount of working solution, for instance, 4 sheets at once. But not 4 sheets one after the other, in the same volume of working solution. Is that correct? Wagner

Quote Originally Posted by lungovw View Post
    The way I read "one shot" is that you can develop, with the correct amount of working solution, for instance, 4 sheets at once. But not 4 sheets one after the other, in the same volume of working solution. Is that correct? Wagner
    Not necessarily. I successfully develop 4 full tanks of film, 120 and 4x5, one after the other, in the same 1 litre of Ilford DD-X - no problems. As long as the area of all the films is less than the capacity of the volume of developer used.

One shot is, as described, "you use the working strength developer once and then discard it."

It is important to use the term correctly IMO because when "one shot" development is recommended it is usually done so either for maximum coinsistency where very close control of density and contrast is required, or because the developer is one that exhausts with time. For example, most pyro developers are supplied in two stock solutions that are mixed to form the working solution. These developers will exhaust on their own with time, even if you don't put any film through them.

Sandy King