Thread: The Nikon 480mm apo / Calumet mount

The Nikon 480mm apo / Calumet mount

The Nikon APO 480 f9 that was given to me by a printing company (gone digital) sat on my shelf collecting dust for years. I use Calumet cc400 series and Busch pressman cameras, and I couldn't figure out a way to get the big lens through the lensboard on the Calumet. Besides, I didn't have a camera with enough bellows (>19").

This year, I decided to buy a camera for the lens. I've heard that great results can be had with the big Nikon, so I had to do something with it. At first I'd thought of going with an 8x10, then I downsized my thinking to a 5x7. Finally, I began to play around with ideas for outfitting the lens on a long 4x5, like a Cambo. My Calumets were out of the question, because the rear lens element and flange were too big for the opening.

Perusing this forum website, I found a Calumet cc400 series lensboard for sale by Mr. Galli, that was ugly and had a big Alphax 5 sized hole in it. The light bulb went on in my head and I purchased the board. Then I bought a used Calumet cc400 series camera with 26" bellows for $140 to use with the lens.

When I got the board, I sanded it down and used JB Weld liquid steel epoxy to attach the lens flange to the front of the lensboard. It left just enough room for the lensboard to slip under the chrome mounting flange on the camera. I painted board flat black and now I have the 480 on my Calumet.

Now I'm working on the Galli Shutter method and getting nice negatives with the long lens.
    Last edited by catshaver; 13-Apr-2009 at 09:21. Reason: typo

Re: The Nikon 480mm apo / Calumet mount

I love my 480mm Nikkor. Here is one of my finer examples taken with this lens. http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=3340985