Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microtek Scanner problem

Microtek Scanner problem

Hi,

Running a Microtek 1800f on WinXP CS4. I have not run this machine for quite awhile. Started scanning 5x7 negs at 1800 SPI and found these vertical lines in my scans.

Any ideas or suggestion will be appreciated. I'm not concerned at this time about the Moire patterns that also appear.

Thanks, Richard

Re: Microtek Scanner problem

Please let me add that the photo is a small crop from the full size scan.

Richard

Can we assume that the scan is traveling top to bottom...?

This is a sure sign of a dirty or failing CCD in the scanner.

I got rid of my Microtek 2500F because of those lines. I could never remove them. Nor could I ever send in the scanner for service. Microtek no longer sells or services scanners in the USA.

My Epson 4990 was a fraction of the cost, and has never produced these lines. It is also much quieter, faster, smaller, and lighter than the Microtek. As far as I can tell, it gives better overall image quality as well, albeit with a modest loss of sharpness. But it doesn't crash, and doesn't require restarting of the scanner, or rebooting of the computer. The exasperation and time I have saved, has proven well worth the small loss in resolution.

I owned a Microtek 9800XL at one time and it also produced the same type lines. I never could get rid of them, and cleaned the base glass, lamp and CCD. I sold it on ebay to someone who was only doing scans of prints and it worked fine for him.

Sandy King

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    I got rid of my Microtek 2500F because of those lines. I could never remove them. Nor could I ever send in the scanner for service. Microtek no longer sells or services scanners in the USA.

My Epson 4990 was a fraction of the cost, and has never produced these lines. It is also quieter, faster, smaller, and lighter. As far as I can tell, it gives better overall image quality as well, along with a modest loss of sharpness. But it doesn't crash, and doesn't require restarting of the scanner, or rebooting of the computer. The exasperation and time I have saved, has proven well worth the small loss in resolution.

Matt, Yes the lines are running top to bottom.

Ken, I'm afraid your correct. I don't think very highly of the performance of my Microtek. Money not wisely spent.

All of a sudden too. Checked some scans from three or four months ago and no lines.
    They show up in all three channels too.

Jeeze, I wish I were rich...;-)

Thanks guys, Richard

Clean the glass which should remove the lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Martel View Post
    All of a sudden too. Checked some scans from three or four months ago and no lines.
    They show up in all three channels too.
    It sounds like it might just be dust, unless there is some reason for adjacent CCD sites to go bad together. Get some tools, a bright lamp, a kitchen table, some beer, and head inside. You might be able to fix it.

Matt,

You may be onto something there. I will most likely take it apart and attempt to clean the CCD and optics...It should be a breeze ,after all, I did sleep at a Holiday Inn once and worked on wheelbarrows at one time...Ill let you all know how it turns out. nothing to lose

Thanks, Richard

Found out what the problem WAS. Matt (Aphexafx) hit on it. It made sense, If there was dust on the Optics or senser it would show as a streak. Upon Googling for scan lines for the MT 1800f I came up with an old post by Kirk Giddings;

"There is no advantage to using the glass bed vs. the film holder for 4x5 and one big disadvantage. The calibration slot in the glass holder is also glass and collects dust, a big problem here in Albuquerque. The dust particles create holes in the calibration data and streaks in the scan. This is not an issue with the film holder as the calibration slot is open."

After cleaning the calibration slot...Streaks gone! as the attatchment shows.

Thanks..I owe you guys a beer.

Richard