Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8x10 Coverage Fujinon-W 210mm f5.6?

8x10 Coverage Fujinon-W 210mm f5.6?

I have a 210mm Sironar-N f5.6, a 210mm Fujinon-W f5.6, and a Computar Symmetrogon 210mm. Looking at the lens lists linked from the LF Home Page, it looks like the Fuji would have the most coverage at 352 degrees. For comparison the Sironar-N is 286 degrees, and the Computar is 308 degrees.

My question is: Does it matter how old the Fuji lens is? My copy of the Fuji lens is in a chrome ring copal shutter (not the current all black shutter), but it has the writing on the outside of the front barrel, not on the inside retaining ring. It is my understanding that the writing on the OUTSIDE of the barrel indicates a later-model lens, and it has been my understanding that the "later model" Fuji lenses have less coverage.

My lens says Fujinon-W 1:5.6/210 Fuji Photo Optical Co. (around the outside of the front of the lens).

Could someone clarify this for me?

Re: 8x10 Coverage Fujinon-W 210mm f5.6?

Gene, The newer Fuji with 67mm filter thread (Outside inscription) has a listed IC of 302mm (or 305), the older with 57mm filter thread (Inside inscription) has a listed IC of 352mm. I have both and can attest that it makes an important difference on 8x10
    The newer does in addition have the EBC coating, the older is single coated.

You mean, mm not degrees. Gene, I have the single coated 210mm with the writing inside the front of the lens and 58mm front threads in old, silver ring, copal shutter.. It took me months to find one in great condition. It covers 8x10 with some fall off, more noticable on transparency film. Not much movements but great lens. I don't think the one you have has as much coverage as you stated but someone else can verify.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Pedersen View Post
    Gene, The newer Fuji with 67mm filter thread (Outside inscription) has a listed IC of 302mm (or 305), the older with 57mm filter thread (Inside inscription) has a listed IC of 352mm. I have both and can attest that it makes an important difference on 8x10
    The newer does in addition have the EBC coating, the older is single coated.
    So, of the three lenses I mentioned, that would make the Computar Symmetrogon at 308mm, the one with the largest image circle? with the Fuji slightly less at 302, and the Sironar-N the least at 286?

What about in practical usage terms, which can vary from published specs? For 8x10.

As I never get tired of saying, the 210mm Sironar-N actually covers 8x10. Couldn't tell you about the Symmetrigon or the later Fuji. The published specs are probably worthless.

I have no experience with the 210 Sironar so can only speak for the two Fuji's. The newer Fuji 210 does project a full image at infinity but i am not sure that the corners would meet everybodys requirements, this is straight on.
    The older Fuji will allow a little movement, about as much as a 210 Dagor.

Has anyone actually tried to use the later version of this lens on an 8x10 camera? I just found out the later version may not cover, but I already own this lens. Don't have the camera yet, but is there a chance I might just scrape by (with no movements) and be able to use this lens on my 8x10?

Braxus, I know you asked for practical advice. I can't give it, don't shoot 8x10 even though I have a late 210/5.6 Fujinon (name engraved on the front cell's barrel, s/n on the rear cell's barrel).

Since you're a newcomer here you may not be acquainted with this site's resources. One of them is a link to a list of links to sources of information that may be useful to LF photographers. The, um, master link is in the first post of a sticky "Where to look" in the lenses section. Use it.

I make this suggestion because the first link under its "Fujinon LF ..." bookmark is to a site that offers a complete and comprehensible guide to Fuji LF lenses, including good instructions for recognizing different versions of what seem, to be at first glance, the same lenses.

Oh, yeah, download the list. Its bookmarks don't work with on-line pdf readers.

Afterthought. You're the best judge of what's good enough for you. When you have y'r 8x10, mount up y'r 210/5.6 Fujinon W and ask it if it can do what you need well enough to suit you. None of us can tell you that.
    Last edited by Dan Fromm; 17-Nov-2019 at 09:31. Reason: afterthought

Thanks Dann. I'll take a look. I'll test it to see if it covers enough or not. If not, I can always sell it and get the older version.

An important question is what type of photography do you do? How close to infinity do you focus, and how important is detail/sharpness in the corners of the image? As you focus closer, the image circle gets bigger. I've used borderline coverage lens on 8x10 a number of times. I kept the limitations in mind when deciding to use the lens for a particular shot. This worked fine, at least for my purposes.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know