Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Non-Reflective Black Paint for Inside Bellows?

Question Non-Reflective Black Paint for Inside Bellows?

Hi, LFP Folks,

Does anyone know an exact brand name for some type of non-reflective black-out paint that could be used inside bellows and stuff?

For example, I got that Shen-Hao 617 bellows pano, and there are some reported concerns about light-bounce in the edge of images.

(I searched the LFP forum for "paint", but not sure I'm finding results.)

Thank you in advance!

Robt.

Re: Non-Reflective Black Paint for Inside Bellows?

Black matt acrylic paint will do. (Liquitex - good for canvas, wood, paper etc.)

Octogenarian

Rust-Oleum makes a specialty line of spray paint called Camouflage.

It is totally non-reflective, when dry. Dries quickly. Flattest paint I have ever used.

I purchased mine at Home Depot. I believe that Lowe's also handles it.

Good to know - the Rust Oleum paint in question contains powerful solvents and is not recommended for fabrics. Bellows is often made of plastic materials...

Drew Wiley

Painting the inside of a bellows would seem to be a very bad idea. Very few paints are
    going to have the long-term flexibility for this, and are either going to affect bellows
    compressibility or run the risk of flaking off and getting bits of dust on your film. Some
    artists acrylics might work but you won't find them sufficiently flat, plus at elevated
    temperatures these run the risk of sticking to themselves = potentially glued together bellows if you work in hot climates. Would make a lot more sense to order a replacement bellows.

Krylon Rust Tough Ultra Flat black spray paint has no reflective qualities. I share the concern about spraying the inside of the bellows. Mostly because it can make them stiff as a board. Have you actually used your bellows? Or, are you going by someone else's inuendo and speculation? You should go by your own experience and not what you hear.

Eric Woodbury

Krylon UFB is the blackest paint I've found and I have tested many. I'm not sure about painting a bellows with it, however. Telescopes are often lined with flocked paper. That might be a better choice. It is available through Edmunds Sci. Depending on why you are doing this, consider adding an internal 'stop' or hard baffle. These are generally more efficient as anything at a low angle will reflect light, no matter how 'black'.
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

Yeah, I agree with the others. Painting the inside of a bellows sounds like a really bad idea. I also second the Krylon Ultra Flat Black for when a really black, non-reflective paint is needed.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Drew Wiley

There's nothing like studio ultra-suede if you want something really black. It's easy to
    glue to things using silicone or Lexel adhesives. I've lined a couple of lenscones and enlarger cones with it. But it tends to hold lint, and if you had a bellows full of it, the bellows probably wouldn't compress properly. Ultra-flat Krylon, like similar products, chalks badly (scuffs and potentially sheds pigment). This is because the pigment load is a little too heavy for the binder. Big risk of black pigment particles getting on film. When I need to retouch the inside components of the view camera (not the bellows), I simply use a black Sharpie pen or old-time Magic Marker (shellac-based black ink).
    But otherwise, the biggest culprit I tend to find regarding flare is at the lens end of
    things - you need a proper shade, especially if the lens has a huge image circle relative
    to the film size.

On the inside of my home made bellows I used that flexible flat black spray paint intended for plastics.