Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Here we go: purchasing a 4x5 kit of my own... suggestions?

Here we go: purchasing a 4x5 kit of my own... suggestions?

Hello all,

I have admired and visited this site for awhile and finally have decided to sign up as I am finally in the market to purchase a large format kit. I've been shooting large format for four years now (mostly as an undergraduate student) and have experimented with several different cameras both field and rail. As I move out to Boston soon to start graduate school, I was hoping to purchase a field camera.

At my undergraduate school we had two of the low end Toyo 45CF kits. They always performed and I have had a great history with them, but am thinking about upgrading as this is a kit I plan on using for decades. I was wondering what you all would recommend. The Wista's are really blowing me away as well as the metal Toyos. Tilting and shifting with both standards is not a necessity.

Thanks so much
    Erik

Re: Here we go: purchasing a 4x5 kit of my own... suggestions?

Call Jim at Midwest Photo and see what he can do for you. They've provided outstanding service in the past for me.

Mike
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

I would opt for a new Shen-Hao 4x5 in black walnut. They have all the movements you will likely need, are robustly constructed, and if you buy it from Badger Graphic, has the service behind the sale that is second to none. The purchase of a new camera takes all the guess work out of how well a camera was cared for by previous owners. I bought a Busch Pressman D a few years ago, and while it will outlive me, it has its quirks and the pinhole leaks that are a yearly maintenance item. I will be buying a Shen-Hao 5x7 FDL to replace it next year. I do extreme closeups, so the extra bellows length on the 5x7 is necessary while only weighing in at 6 lbs.

For a lens, I would choose a 135mm for starts. My Wollensak Raptar 135 has done everything I have asked of it. In fact, I owned a Rodenstock Sironar S 150 and sold it because the Raptar gave me better results. On paper the image circle stats seem slight, but in practice, I have never exceeded acceptable sharpness in the corners. Unless you do architectural work with maximum shifts and rise/fall, image circle shouldn't be an issue. In the meantime though, a 135mm lens can be had for little money and give you everything from wide angle looking stuff to normal focal length with back tilts etc. From there you could go with a 210mm which are flooding the used market. Lots of symmars out there in this length. If you can find a decent 203 7.7 Ektar, grab it! It is tiny and its sharpness is stunning.

Thank you very much for your answer! I actually have not looked into wooden cameras or even been able to play around with one. The main difference between a wood and metal field camera is weight and durability though it would seem? Not that I would ever "throw around" any type of camera, but I just get a delicate feeling from the wood construction ones.

I will do some research into the Shen Hao's though - I had never heard about those until today. As for the lenses I agree that a 135 is a nice place to start. I will definitely look into the model you suggested.

You have to give us more info.

What range of lenses do you plan to use? Is light-weight important? Do you prefer metal over wood? What is your budget?

You will get a wide gamut of opinions here. Before you pick, you need a budget. Big difference between Shen Hao and Linhof for example. Also, you need to decide if you want one camera that can do it all, or perhaps multiple cameras for select purposes (wide vs tele for example.)

You said that you don't need tilts and shifts on both standards. I suspect that you will want at least tilts on both standards if you plan to use the camera for a long time.

My advice is:

Chamonix 45 for cheap, aesthetics, functional

Toyo 45AII for reasonable cost used, high quality and durability, lenses 90-300

Canham 45DLC for light weight, versatility (75 - 300+)

Arca Swiss F-Line Metric for max versatility, max quality, pleasure to use, precision, max cost.

Thank you all for the responses.

To answer your question Ron, I will most likely way within a relative traditional lense range (excuse me for not knowing the correct focal lengths as I have only shot with a 150 and 210, but somewhere between 90 and 300 - I could not imagine needing bigger glass).

I am completley up in the air about metal versus wood. I will say weight is important as I am moving to a city where I will not have a car and plan on shooting as much on location as in the studio.

As for a budget, I would feel comfortable spending anywhere from 750 to maaybe 2000 for a body and lense.

And Jerold as you said maybe it is better to have as many options as possible (tilt/shift on both standards) as I do plan on revolving around one primary large format kit for awhile.

Thank you all so much!

Also one last thing is that I just finished talking to another photographer friend and her advice was essentially to buy a cheap body and spend the money on the lenses.

Thoughts?

Looking at current prices for used lenses, you should be able to put together a kit of 90-135-210 for less than $1000, perhaps even a bit less.

A decent used woodfield would be $500 and up.

Check KEH Camera brokers to get an idea of pricing. Private sales will be about 10-20% lower than that:

http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/Categ...59&BC=LF&BCC=7

Quote Originally Posted by erikbenj View Post
    Thank you all for the responses.

To answer your question Ron, I will most likely way within a relative traditional lense range (excuse me for not knowing the correct focal lengths as I have only shot with a 150 and 210, but somewhere between 90 and 300 - I could not imagine needing bigger glass).

I am completley up in the air about metal versus wood. I will say weight is important as I am moving to a city where I will not have a car and plan on shooting as much on location as in the studio.

As for a budget, I would feel comfortable spending anywhere from 750 to maaybe 2000 for a body and lense.

And Jerold as you said maybe it is better to have as many options as possible (tilt/shift on both standards) as I do plan on revolving around one primary large format kit for awhile.

Thank you all so much!

Octogenarian

In your original statement, you said "this is a kit I plan on using for decades". Maybe months, or years, but not decades. As ones experience and skill level increases, so does the desire for newer, better, or larger equipment.

Best to purchase the best quality late model previously owned camera and lenses that you can afford. You can always add more equipment or trade up later. A "cheap" camera probably will not hold up for decades. A metal camera is more rugged than a wood or plastic camera, as you have already surmised.

You can purchase previously owned equipment from private individuals or from a dealer you can trust. Jim, at Midwest Photo Exchange (MPEX) and Jeff at Badger Graphic are two very reliable dealers in new and used equipment.

KEH buys low and sells high, but they have the largest selection of used equipment.

You'll get lots of help from the members of this forum. Ask, and you will receive.