Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Choosing the camera

Choosing the camera

Please, could somebody give me advice which one camera is better to choose for landscape shooting:

Wista 45DX, VX, V

or Toyo 45AII

Thanks in advance

Re: Choosing the camera

I may be able to, but first you must give me more information. What lenses do you plan to use, how important is weight?

One on your list is wood (DX), one I am not familiar with (V), the others are metal. All excellent cameras.

:Better" is highly subjective, "better for you" even more so. You will, however, find various threads here relating to both brands that might help you with your decision.

Within the Toyo line, if you want to save a little weight and some cash, also consider the 45AX model.

Buy one and use it, buy another, sell the worst, repeat... they are all good cameras, it really depends on you. If you are a careful shopper you won't lose any money.

Buying and selling cameras is a great hobby unto itself.

I've been through a lot of cameras, and I agree with Frank. The best way to know about a camera is to use one for awhile. That said, I just bought a Toyo 45 AX on the for-sale forum, and so far it's my favorite camera that I've had for landscape photography, and I've used Linhof, Toho, Graphic, Ebony, Arca Swiss, Sinar, Chamonix.... It's sturdy and easy to use, without being ridiculously over built or expensive. I don't have to worry about alignment every time I use the back extension, unlike the Chamonix. It focuses a 65mm lens on a flat board just fine. There isn't that much room for movements when the bellows are compressed that much, but then a 65mm doesn't require all that much movement capability. The AX is an ARII without the revolving back. I'd rather save the weight and have a simple reversing back, especially for landscape photography.

Wood versus metal.....

Wood for the looks, metal if you want a camera without having to worry about a little scatch here and there.

At the end the quality of your lenses and your capabilities will be shown in the end result: your photo's.

For pure weight, long hikes trough the mountains: a Chamonix.
    For shots in flatland, close to your car: a Sinar P2 that you can upgrade to 8x10 inch once you got the LF bug into your blood........

Peter

Shooting landscapes with either camera will be fine depending on the lenses you plan to use and your workflow.

It comes down to whether you like working with one or the other. That said, there is no 'perfect' camera.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Like Peter I've used almost everything myself, but if you're just starting it seems a shame to go and spend nearly $1000 on a camera when for $250 or so you can get a nice Crown Graphic (few movements but a bullet-proof box) or a Cambo monorail (plentiful, cheap, flexible with full movements) or a dozen other good but not swanky cameras. That way you can spend your money on film and if you take to it, better lenses and supplies, then work up to a fancier camera.

If read this forum for a while it makes you think you need a $1000 Chamonix or a $3000 Ebony/Arca-Swiss with a rack of four $1200 Schneider lenses and a drum scanner and couple of workstations and a Epson 9800... to make a successful photograph.

But Frank, if he has the money, the economy will like him for buying an Ebony, Schneider, drum scanner, a huge workstation, and the latest greatest printer. Spread the wealth, 'cause I ain't got any. HA!!!
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Every couple of weeks I get a message that goes like, "I just got laid-off and I've always wanted to be a professional photographer, so what camera should I get?"

I don't even answer those anymore.