Thread: Linhoff setup price advice needed (a newbie question)

Linhoff setup price advice needed (a newbie question)

Dear all, hi! Long time I intended to add LF to my current setups (Nikon 35mm + Rollei TLR) fo r landscapes and portraits, and right now I get an unexpected offer: Linhoff Supertechnika V 6x9 body (Zeiss) Opton 53/4.5 (Schneider) Super Angulon 75/5.6 (Schneider) Xenotar 100/2.8 (Linhoff?) Tele Technikon 180/4.6 (Linhoff?) Tele-Arton 270/5.6 Roll film backs 6x6, 6x7, 6x9 Fresnel lens in the body All is used, but at the first glance all seems to be in very good condition (I h ad no time to test everything carefully). The lenses seem to be single-coated; f actory-adjusted to the body (body/lenses serial ## on the adjustment plates do m atch). I saw slides made with this equipment: everything is good except front lihgt (ba ck lit subject). The man (a professional photografer) asks $7000 (seven th. USD) telling me it is a fantastic offer. Q1: Is it reasonable price exactly for _this_ equipment? Q2: Is it a good investtment for the future? --- I mean not the resell value, bu t the ability of this setup to be extended (e.g. with newest multicoated lenses etc). --- The requested amount is huge for me and there is a reason to pay it on ly if this are 'things forever'.

All LF-world prices (as well the technical details) are unknown for me right now , and your advices will be VERY appreciated.

Thank you! Sorry for my bad English.

Andrey Vorobyov, Russia

Goto

www.bhphotovideo.com Look under large format/linhoff

All your questions will be answered.

Sorry, but B&H site contains prices for NEW equipment; the question was 1) about USED equipment 2) about compatibility with new lenses, accessories etc.

Andrey

Dear Andrey, I don't think it is a good Idea to buy all this(it is a lot isn't it?) for this much. The reality is that a 6 x 9 camera is an outdated system with no real future. It is true that you can make eccellent use of it but forget about expanding this system possibilities because it isn't simply beyng commercialized anymore. Sheet film is almost impossible to find and new enlargers are seldom built to provide a platform for this format. You can surely use some of the lenses for 4" x 5" photography but wide-angles(other than the super-angulon) and normal lenses would be useless other than used on the 6x9format. So if you like the format buy it but really you shouldn't pay more than $4000 otherwise you are ripped off! You better invest your money in a honest 4x5 and some good, modern, lenses. regards Andrea Milano

Andrey, 6x9cm is still a very valid system. But those prices seem extremely high, especi ally for single coated lenses. Do check the B&H site for current prices on curre nt equipment. If you really want to shoot 6x9cm only ,check out the Arca Swiss 6 x9 FC camera.

Check www.lensandrepro.com for prices on vintage used equipment. I don't use Linhof so i cannot comment on your second question.

Gentlemen, thanks a lot!

Your opinions and information from the received liks show, that the setup is very overpriced.

Thanks again!

Andrey.

Hello, You can ask information directly from Linhoff plant: http://www.ambiente.com.br/linhof/ About one year ago it was about 8e3DM for body, about 1.5e3..2.5e3DM for each lens (Schneider/Rodenstok , multicoated), and about 1.2e3DM for each back insert (6x7,6x9,.. ), and all of this plus 16% MWS, plus about 100/200DM for post. So, for 20000DM=12000$ you will have a new equipment. You can also by a 4x5 Technica for practically the same price. By the way, It seems to be a very, very much for step in LF. Best Wishes. Sergey. PS: If You are in Russia, I have a question: What is the situation now with LF films in Russia? Where to find and how much to pay? Where to develop color films?

I saw a near identical (maybe one lens was different) kit auctioned on Ebay for US$ 3700 about 5 months ago. $7000 used seems VERY high.