Thread: Cezanne Elite workflow and many questions

Cezanne Elite workflow and many questions

Hi all, well I've just become the proud owner of a Screen Cezanne Elite (FT-S5500). I bought it from a bankrupt printing firm, here in the UK.

It's taken me some time, but I've finally got it working on a mac dual G5 running osX 10.3. I've done a bit of scanning in the past (I used to use a Scanmate F8 plus and Heidelberg 2650) and past experience has shown that most scanner software is passable for trannies and hopeless for negs.

So, I'm using color genius to give RAW scans and importing into CS3. Then color correcting using levels (per channel) and curves. But there are a few things I'm unsure about;
    1) Does the scanner need any type of focus calibration (there's nothing in ColorGenius)?
    2) I've been selecting the scan area and adding it to the batch list, without any adjustment whatsoever, and it seems to be okay.
    3) I didn't get any tranny masks with the scanner, so have made some from PVC sheeting. At the moment I'm laying this onto the glass bed and laying the CHEAPO plastic plate (with handles) on top. There's a big note on the scanner that reads "Emulsion up" and so I'm following orders. So far no newton rings but I did get strange color fringing when I made a mistake and put frame in with trannie emulsion down.
    4) How does the max optical resolution change with frame size - e.g. 35mm, 645, 6x7, 4x5?

I was wondering if fellow Cezanne users could share some of their workflow, for the best possible scans for negatives and transparencies?

Meanwhile I'm happy to share stories of my battle with getting this thing to work with SCSI on a G5! (grrrrr!)

many thanks for your time

Re: Cezanne Elite workflow and many questions

Hi,

I have the standard Cezanne. I've gotta go to work right now. Tonight, though, I'll try to answer your questions, although my version of ColorGenius is version 1, and so things might be a little different. What films/sizes are you scanning?

Thanks Peter, I look forward to your answer.
    At the moment I am scanning a large collection of 645 negs and trannies that I took on a trip to the US of A. But in addition I shoot 6x7 and a little large format 4x5.

I think I've made satisfactory masks for these three sizes, though they could be better. I could only get white plastic sheet, not black - I'm sure that would be an instant improvement.

I'll get to some workflow suggestions soon, but it's been pretty busy here, and I'll have to go do some scanning to get settings for each dialogue box, as I haven't done any scanning for quite awhile.

Basically, though, I do the following. Use the advanced setup to make sure that as much info is captured as possible. Make custom ICC files using targets from Wolf Faust. Wet-mount using Prazio scanning oil. Once in Photoshop tag the image with the appropriate icc file... That's for color. For BW I scan as a 16 bit per channel color transparency and pick the best channel in Photoshop.

Regarding resolution: It's got an 8000 element ccd, which means that it'll scan a strip 1.5" wide at max non-interpolated res. My theory was to roughly match the width of the scan to what the non-interpolated res would be, and so I do 35mm at 5300 spi; 120mm, which is close to 2" wide, at 4000 ... That said, according the the Seybold report, using interpolation leads to a fairly big increase in real resolution, because the scanner takes smaller steps in the Y direction, and so it's possible that more detail will be recorded at higher settings, if there is any more detail on the negative, that is. You can of course scan a negative using multiple hi-res strips and then combine them in Photoshop.

Check out the following thread: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...hlight=cezanne

Peter, not wanting to hassle you, but might you be able to shed a bit of light on your workflow? I'm having a job with Colorgenius 2.1.3 under OSX 10.4.11 - I've updated from the dianappon website - but the software is still horribly unstable (the server continually crashes)
    Anyway, that's besides the point.

I already have a Wold Faust Provia profile, but I'm unable to make custom profiles as the "MakeProfile" software is "unable to find colorgenius" - I've tried it in every directory I can think of.... so custom profiles might be a bit of a problem at the moment. I just can't get the utility to run.

here's hoping you're not horribly busy at the moment.
    Thanks

Hi,

You don't make the calibration file with Colorgenius... Just a second...Wolf Faust recommended http://lprof.sourceforge.net/, and it worked well for me.

I took captures of various windows on my G4 for you, but they are in pict format, and I haven't found a way to convert them to jpgs.

I've never had the server crash. It sounds like there's a compatibility problem with your scsi board, but I don't know too much about Macs, I'm afraid.

Don't know this week's work schedule yet. My company's not big on giving me any advanced notice.

Are you scanning on the standard bed with a cover plate?