Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ID this camera

ID this camera

I picked this up locally and am having a heck of a time getting a positive ID on it. the closest thing I can find at this point is a Nagaoka, however the rear movements are wrong from what I can find (as well as maybe the front). It has rear shift which I see missing form the pictures of Nagaoka's that I have been able to find. THe rear shift is somewhat unique as well in that it uses a aluminum(?) dovetail which the back slides back and forth on. The back does look like a Nagaoka though. it is significantly lighter than my Shen Hao. The hardware appears to be mostly brass, and it is machined rather than pressed like my Shen Hao. It seems to be just as ridged (if not more so) as the Shen Hao. It takes Technika boards.

Here are a few pics:

Re: ID this camera

Any info on who made this camera would be greatly appreciated.

Well it looks like it was made by Wista that's their hardware and screen, but it's different from my 20+ year old 45DX.

It may be one of their earlier models, the spring back changed and a few other details.

Ian

Possible it's a OKUBO camera from Japan.

The front standard and hardware is definitely a Wista type, the ground glass assembly is more an Ikeda type (aka Okuba), a strange clone, indeed.

Wista I would say, lovely camera, verry workable.

Peter

For some reason I had ruled out Wista, for some reason I only associated them with the metal field cameras they make. The hardware does look very Wista, however the rear movements (shift and swing) are different. The camera does seem to be very nice and I am strongly considering keeping this one and selling the Shen Hao (with some very unscientific measurements, holding one in each hand, it seems to be 1/3-1/2 lighter).

I doubt if it is either a Wista or an Ikeda product. The reason for my doubt is that I think that a maker who had worked out those nice back movements would want to at least include them on a deluxe model, if not his whole line.
    In the 1960's and 70"s Japan had many small workshops capable of producing a camera such as this. Some still existed considerably later. I suspect it is the product of one of these, but it is a pity that it doesn't have a nameplate. The designer was too modest.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernest Purdum View Post
    I doubt if it is either a Wista or an Ikeda product. The reason for my doubt is that I think that a maker who had worked out those nice back movements would want to at least include them on a deluxe model, if not his whole line.
    In the 1960's and 70"s Japan had many small workshops capable of producing a camera such as this. Some still existed considerably later. I suspect it is the product of one of these, but it is a pity that it doesn't have a nameplate. The designer was too modest.
    Those nice movements are all there in a substantially improved form on the Wista 45DX, as is the back but with a new spring system that allows the use of thick roll film backs, and this camera is very obviously an older model from the same company.

The front standard is identical, the fittings are mostly common, the screen & protective piece is identical as are the fittings holding it.

If you use a wooden Wista you'd recognise it as being one, it's not like an Ikead or other Japanese 5x4.

Ian

Confidently Agnostic!

Looks a lot like tachihara - a lot of the hardware looks exactly the same - but maybe an earlier model or variation of some kind, because some of the movements and knobs aren't in the same place.