Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Developing very old film

Developing very old film

This has been discussed before, but usually around making new images on old film and developing it. This week I found a 1932 Kodak Premo in an antique shop. It had a roll of exposed 620 film, I'm guessing Verichrome Pan, inside. I bought the camera, and I'd like to develop the film just to see what images may be on it. The film looked very old. It is on a metal reel, and the colors of the paper backing are black and silver. Any ideas about how to develop this? I checked the Massive Development Chart at Digitaltruth, and it said 4.5 minutes in HC110 (B) for Verichrome. I'm assuming that this is for a newer emulsion than the one I have. I want to use HC110 because of it's anti-fogging properties. My instincts are to use dilution H, and develop for 11 minutes. Since the film was sitting for decades in the camera, the images are likely to be a bit shallow. I can bump up the contrast by adding extra time. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--Gary

joseph

Re: Developing very old film

At the risk or cost of slicing a frame, you could do a clip test...

I agree with Joseph - a clip test. Use a developer + benzotriaizole to deal with fog. If the images are "faded" you may want to soak the negative in Selenium to bump the contrast up a stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary L. Quay View Post
    This has been discussed before, but usually around making new images on old film and developing it. This week I found a 1932 Kodak Premo in an antique shop. It had a roll of exposed 620 film, I'm guessing Verichrome Pan, inside. I bought the camera, and I'd like to develop the film just to see what images may be on it. The film looked very old. It is on a metal reel, and the colors of the paper backing are black and silver. Any ideas about how to develop this? I checked the Massive Development Chart at Digitaltruth, and it said 4.5 minutes in HC110 (B) for Verichrome. I'm assuming that this is for a newer emulsion than the one I have. I want to use HC110 because of it's anti-fogging properties. My instincts are to use dilution H, and develop for 11 minutes. Since the film was sitting for decades in the camera, the images are likely to be a bit shallow. I can bump up the contrast by adding extra time. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--Gary

I don't think 11 minutes is near long enough.....I would go for one of these super-dilution 1-hour type deals

- agree on the anti-fog and clip test. I would love to see your results I am really charged by this kind of window into the past. Please keep us posted.

I am looking at the recommended development for Verichrome (ASA 64) in Kodak's 1952 Data Book.

Continuous Agitation (tray)
    D-76 13 min
    Microdol 13 min
    DK-20 12 min
    DK-60a 5.5 min

Intermittent Agitation (tank)
    D-76 16 min
    Microdol 16 min
    DK-20 15 min
    DK-60a 7 min

These may be helpful as starting points.
    al

You know, I have some old cans of DK-60a at home. I'm a bit concerned that it may lead to more fog than HC110. I'll try the clip test, and add some anti-fog to the mix if I need to.

With tongue firmly planted in cheek....

For 1930's vintage Verichrome Pan I'd suggest you use 1930's vintage D-76 :-)

Sorry, I couldn't resist..

Please let us know the results of your endeavor.

Good luck,

Check out www.westfordcomp.com. He collects old cameras, including ones with old film inside, and develops the film. His web site has pages of images from such film.

Keith Fleming

I have never obtained an image from old (30-40years) film found in a camera, though I always try when I have the chance. Personally I don't see how a latent image can survive that long, though, there are supposed instances of prolonged latent image survival: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...highlight=line

If you get something let us know!

One photographer who has sort of a sub-specialty in developing "found film" is Gene M. ... over on the photo.net classic camera forum. He has a series on the rolls he's developed on his website at:

http://www.westfordcomp.com/holga/index.html