Thread: Epson V700 power adapter

Epson V700 power adapter

I am planning to buy a V700 scanner in my next US travel, but I am unsure about power adapter issues when I will be back in Italy (CA 100-240V 50-60 Hz ).

As far as someone knows, is it enough to buy any third party adapter and plug it to the scanner or will I need to modify the hardware?

thank you
    Andre

Re: Epson V700 power adapter

Quote Originally Posted by bardamu View Post
    I am planning to buy a V700 scanner in my next US travel, but I am unsure about power adapter issues when I will be back in Italy (CA 100-240V 50-60 Hz ).
    It would be cheaper to buy the scanner from here in the UK, for as little as £330. No import duty, no additional VAT and the same voltage.

I checked the EPSON website and the V700 uses an external AC > DC power adapter.
    This indicates it is a “Universal” switching power supply which is most common these days. These “Universal” power supplies are designed to operate over a range of AC Voltages and frequencies that will work in a vast majority of the world.
    The specs you listed indicate it works from a minimum input Voltage of 100 VAC to a maximum voltage of 240 VAC and from a input frequency range of 50-60 Hz. Common practice is to not build in the AC to DC power supply to the product but select an external universal AC power supply (often from a 3rd party) that meets the products DC requirements. This makes life much simpler for the manufacturers regarding getting country approvals for safety and emissions.
    Check that the power supply has the CE mark (I’d be really surprised if it didn’t) as that will a requirement to use it legally in Europe. Also the AC power cord does not appear to be the standard computer style connector where it plugs into the power supply so getting one with the correct connector for Italy maybe an issue. You should be able to get an adapter for the wall socket end that converts from North American standards to Italian standards.

I hope this isn't to much information.

JGB

Good news, thank you so much Jim.

so you think it will be possible to keep the original US power supply and to use just an adapter for the wall socket end?

Andre

You can make your life easy and put a new plug on once you are in Italy again, or if you want to spend money buy a new power cable in Italy.
    Connections to the power supplies are standard these days.

Peter

Exclamation Re: Epson V700 power adapter

I have USA V700 and it has **110V** external adapter, (it's not universal adapter like notebook's one for 90-240V) You can't use it in Europe without additional transformer 220V->110V. Otherwise you will burn it!

Buy V700 from England, it's the cheapest at the moment, due to EUR/GBP ratio, if you want to use scanner in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by andress007 View Post
    I have USA V700 and it has **110V** external adapter, (it's not universal adapter like notebook's one for 90-240V) You can't use it in Europe without additional transformer 220V->110V. Otherwise you will burn it!

Buy V700 from England, it's the cheapest at the moment, due to EUR/GBP ratio, if you want to use scanner in Europe.
    If this is the case in the USA (I checked the Canadian WEB Site) then you would need to either replace the power supply for one rated at 220V 50Hz or a transformer 220-110V as noted. Sounds like your safest bet is buy locally.

JGB

Hmm,

The AC adapter on my V750 purchased in the US and is rated 100-120v~50-60Hz. It does have the standard computer notebook plug tho.

Once, home, you would need to buy a transformer to step your 240v down to 100-120v and then you may need to convert the US plug. I live in two countries and the transformer I purchased accepted the US parallel blade plug. Also, since only 0.8 amps is required, you can get by with a small and cheap transformer. The good news is that the adapter can handle Italy's 50Hz. This is important.

The easiest fix tho, is to just buy an adapter in Italy and dispense with the US one. The US adapter converts 100-120v to 24v, 1.4amps, which is what the scanner needs. It should be fairly easy to find an adapter in Italy that converts 240v to this 24volts, 1.4 amps. Start with computer and electronic stores.

Cheers,
    -bob

Also, check ebay. They are usually many of the power supplies for the Epson scanners on ebay. They are interchangeable, so just buy the one for your voltage requirements.

bardamu

There are still several suppliers in the UK, selling for less than £400. When you consider that any price on a US site doesn't include any tax, you then have to add 6.5% import duty into the EU, plus your local 20% VAT, plus any shipping/excess luggage charges, is it really worth all the effort and expense?