Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What the hell IS this thing?!?!

What the hell IS this thing?!?!

I'll save you the long story about how I made it to this site....but what I found there was an object that made me extremely curious:

http://www.cameratique.com/

I love cool, intriguing gadgets. But what the hell IS that thing? Seriously cool whatever it may be!

--A

Attempting to post it here to save you the click (Warning: it's a big file size):

Re: What the hell IS this thing?!?!

A machine to summon the Devil and his minions.

Maybe it's a sunshine recorder!

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...order&aq=f&oq=

No, probably not, but I have a fascination with sunshine recorders so...

I can't believe you don't have one, Alec. It's pointless to use a large format camera without one of these. You might as well just use a Ferrania cardboard disposable with a plastic lens and be done with it.

Some accessory for surveying? Maybe fit a Dietzgen surveyor tripod... it looks cool, and very precise.
    Robert Oliver

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

It's a doorway to an alternate universe- you better destroy that frigin' thing before someone gets hurt real bad!!!
    Brian Vuillemenot

falth j

Ahhmnn...

for those wanting a simple description and answer here it is:

"The Universal Stage is one of the oldest and most useful accessories in the armamentarium of the polarized-light microscopist.

It is conventionally used to examine thin sections of rocks, minerals, slags, ceramics, and concrete, or grain mounts of minerals and other single phase or concentrates in solid or liquid mount; even single large crystals and gemstones can be examined.

The particle microscopist normally mounts an unknown in a liquid or thermoplastic medium that allows for the changing of the sample’s orientation by applying pressure to the edge of a round coverglass, so as to maneuver the particle into the most favorable position for measuring crystal angles, observing interference figures, etc.

However, when one is looking at a thin section of rock, the minerals comprising the rock are at various, fixed orientations, and not much can be done about it when using a flat stage.

The universal stage is designed to both rotate 360° and to tilt such a thin section 40°-50° through any of several axes. One of the first polarizing microscopes was built by Amici in 1844, and this microscope had a built-in E/W tilting axis incorporated outside of its inner, concentric movement.

The biggest problem observed when using this instrument was due to refraction of the light at high angles of tilt, but by 1875 Adams solved that problem by adding small concentric hemispheres above and below the crystal.

By the end of the century (1889-1896) Fedorov had designed the prototype of what would be the modern attachment universal stage.

In the next two decades, Max Berek designed an attachable universal stage for Leitz that incorporated a number of improvements, and is the instrument that is in use today.

Over time, 3-axis, 4-axis, and 5-axis universal stages appeared, although the 4-axis version is the one most commonly used.

In addition to the early universal stage made by Fuess, and others, modern versions have been made by Leitz, Zeiss (Oberkochen), Jena (Zeiss Jena), Bausch & Lomb, Cooke, Nikon, the Russian-made LOMO, and copies of the Leitz made in China.

Although no longer made by the major manufacturers, several Leitz and Chinese-made versions have been available on eBayŽ in the last year."

It probably cost $50 million to make one for NASA but you can buy a better gimbal mounted compass at US Boats for $69.

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    I can't believe you don't have one, Alec.
    That's just what I was thinking. Heck, I think I'll need a spare as well.

Quote Originally Posted by falth j View Post
    for those wanting a simple description and answer here it is:
    Thanks, falth j. I think I get it. Now all I'm wondering if it'll fit my universal iris clamp....

Really, though, I love stuff like this. I'm a disaster at garage sales. If I weren't married, my pad would definitely be some kinda throwback to the Victorian era....zebra carpet, vases full of peacock feathers, mounted bugs on the walls, victrola, odd instruments, etc. It would be awesome!

--A

You've found this shop in NYC haven't you?

http://theevolutionstore.com/

Since I am going off topic anyway, like minded individuals may enjoy this too:

http://www.CustomCreatureTaxidermy.com/