Page 540 of 696 FirstFirst ... 40440490530538539540541542550590640 ... LastLast
Results 5,391 to 5,400 of 6953

Thread: What did you compose at Waters Edge?

Re: What did you compose at Waters Edge?

Quote Originally Posted by mdm View Post
    The notch code top right is very annoying but I still have not found a way to clone things out of a clean looking gradient in photoshop.
    Click and hold the Spot Healing brush tool and select the Patch Tool. You should be able to use that to make a perfect match. Alternatively the clone tool should really have worked fine if you were sampling an area of roughly the same tone. Don't forget to vary the opacity to blend.

Here's an image I shot this morning with my 8x20. This negative came out perfectly but my other was fogged in one corner. Still don't know why this camera is giving me such trouble, but only sometimes.

Shanty Branch Tunnel at the Byron Reece Trailhead
    Korona / Deardorff 8x20
    Schneider 305mm f/9 G-Claron
    Ilford HP5+ dev'd in HC-110 dil. H

It's getting cooler and the water was quite cold as I setup this shot. The camera position happened to be just right to sink into a little deep eddy so I was in about a foot of probably 45-50 degree water. Brrrr! The sun peeked out from a cloud for just a minute, giving some nice illumination in the rear.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Corran, Perfect exposure on the tunnel and just the right amount of water over the rocks. It pays to revisit places like this. I have been wanting a 7x17 camera and shots like this make me want it more. I know where you stood and can only imagine how cold your feet got. Get some wading boots or waist high waders.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Click and hold the Spot Healing brush tool and select the Patch Tool. You should be able to use that to make a perfect match. Alternatively the clone tool should really have worked fine if you were sampling an area of roughly the same tone. Don't forget to vary the opacity to blend.

Here's an image I shot this morning with my 8x20. This negative came out perfectly but my other was fogged in one corner. Still don't know why this camera is giving me such trouble, but only sometimes.

Shanty Branch Tunnel at the Byron Reece Trailhead
    Korona / Deardorff 8x20
    Schneider 305mm f/9 G-Claron
    Ilford HP5+ dev'd in HC-110 dil. H

It's getting cooler and the water was quite cold as I setup this shot. The camera position happened to be just right to sink into a little deep eddy so I was in about a foot of probably 45-50 degree water. Brrrr! The sun peeked out from a cloud for just a minute, giving some nice illumination in the rear.
    Fantastic stuff
    Come and see what I have done up and until now at www.neilsphotography.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    ...Still don't know why this camera is giving me such trouble, but only sometimes...
    I was having that same issue with my Eastman 2D. I discovered that I wasn't getting the film holder properly seated in the back before pulling the dark slide.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Thanks esearing and ndwgolf.

Eric, you're right, next time I am going to wear my insulated socks and rubber boots I used to wade in the swamps with! They aren't great for hiking but pretty soon here the water will be much too cold to go in.

Michael, thanks for the suggestion. Last night I wasted a bunch of 4x5 film testing things in the darkroom to figure out the light leak (taped into the corner where it leaked). What I figured out finally is that it's the brand-new holder! The darkslide is slightly undersized on the far edge and if it shifts left or right seems to leak on the corner of the film. I used some electrical tape to get it more firmly sealed up properly but am also investigating whether or not I can get a replacement.

Corran: Sorry to come in late (I was working/thinking about my posts on "why we photograph" in the other thread) but this panoramic is wonderful! I remember posting a similar appreciation for another pano you posted of flowing water, you definitely have your panoramic vision, as well as your technique, nailed down! In this one I'm particularly impressed by how you captured the full tonal range, from the shadowed detail on the right and left, to the luminous waterfall in the middle. And since I have been writing elsewhere about originality, your use of panorama does make the scene even more memorable than more typical formats.

Thank you Peter! I appreciate your thoughts. I hope I can make the contact print as good as the digital scan here. The negative is a bit on the thin side but with some careful split-grade printing I think I can get it about right...still working on my craft in the DR.

Corran...nice image! A bit frustrating to evaluate on my screen...shadow detail to left seems a bit dark - until I move the screen around to see that, yes, there is detail there! I also do lots of split grade these days...which lets me give shadows just the right amount of blue-channel light - often with green-channel held back almost completely...so that these shadows maintain their richness/blackness without going either gray or completely black. In my "pre split-grade" days, such shadows and/or thin(ish) negatives would often require a bit of local (or even general) selenium intensification...but since I've adopted a split-grade routine I'm finding that such chemical interventions are now only rarely needed. I also love my 305-G...use it with everything up to and including 11x14 - so versatile!

I'm a bit late as I've been w/o cell service for days while camping () - thanks John for your comments! I'm still learning the darkroom, but I am grateful for my mentor who showed me SG printing. I was pulling my hair out before learning that. The 305 GC (Dagor) is a really fine lens and I am glad I was able to find one that didn't break the bank! I rarely have used the Nikkor 450mm on my 8x20, which is the only other lens I have that covers...though I would LOVE to have a 210mm Super Symmar (if I won the lottery!).

Milford Sound, 4x5 Shanghai GP3 in D23.