Thread: Hello From Connecticut via West Coast!

Hello From Connecticut via West Coast!

Hello all,
    I just ran across this site and am very pleased to be here. And exited to see so many people who share my passion ... I love large format photography just about as much as I love my family and my dogs. I Went to a technical school, Brooks Institute in California to learn the photography trade and have been shooting ever since. Mostly large format. 8X10, 4X5, and 2 1/4.

I have been in the photography business for 30 years and have had commercial studios for most of that time. I had a commercial "break down" in 1995 when digital arrived on the scene and the only way I could compete in my market was to invest 100K for a pre-leaf camera system. So I shut my studio down and did odd jobs for about one year. I painted pipes for the government, laid bricks and actually drove a UPS truck until I hit an employees car. Then I got an in-house gig for a large corporation and did their commercial photography for 1 year. I had a hard time being told what to, (only because I had been independent for so long) so I quit, switched gears and ramped up the fine art side of my business. I started to show the 8X10 polaroid transfers I had been shooting and different publishers wanted to license them. So I managed to get a name in the gift market and actually made a descent living off of my artwork for a number of years. I have been slacking off a little lately and have not even put up a web site because I am not sure what I want to sell ...

But anyway it is refreshing to see a forum that is not totally dedicated to equipment and digital bs, glad to join you here and I will try to contribute when I can!

Re: Hello From Connecticut via West Coast!

Hi Julie..great to have you here.
    Nice intro..
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover"
    August Rodin

My Now old Photo Site

Joel Edmondson

Hello Julie... sounds as if you have indeed "paid your dues" and there seem to be a lot of folks on this site who can relate to that. Welcome and good luck!

A Westie in the East. Welcome. Glad someone was smart enough to walk away from the $100,000 digi gig. A D200 would do more at this point. I've got my feet in both worlds but it's easy to see where my heart is at.

Richard M. Coda

Welcome Julie.

Sounds like an interesting career. Do you have a website?

Rich
    Photographs by Richard M. Coda
    my blog
    Primordial: 2010 - Photographs of the Arizona Monsoon
    "Speak softly and carry an 8x10"
    "I shoot a HYBRID - Arca/Canham 11x14"

Quote Originally Posted by Richard M. Coda View Post
    Welcome Julie.

Sounds like an interesting career. Do you have a website?

Rich
    " . . . I have been slacking off a little lately and have not even put up a web site because I am not sure what I want to sell ... "
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Hi you guys and gals,
    Thank you for your welcomes! And thank you Brian for answering Richard's question about a web site. No I don't have one, and my husband builds and manages them for a living, I should be embarrassed! I had one really early on and then I got disgusted with it and shut it down ... but I have reserved and paid for "julienightingale.com" for the last 10 years ... (getting an idea how I operate?). I tend to over engineer almost everything and I get confused with all of my images and how to organize them. For almost 20 years I used to just hand the 4X5 transparencies over to the art director and get onto the next shoot. And yes I am the type that just threw my slides and all my personal and creative stuff in a box, but they always haunted me. Now that I have to account for every image I take digitally, I have turned this process into something similar to building a land cruise missile. I guess it would be wise to start some where.

But if you want to see some of the images, (crap) that has been published google julie nightingale. I say crap because they always choose safe pretty shots. I like to shoot, or try to shoot the kind that get some sort of a rise out of some one, somewhere! Again thank you guys for welcoming me here and I feel kind of at home here.

Welcome foro sunny (and broke!) California
    I steal time at 1/125th of a second, so I don't consider my photography to be Fine Art as much as it is petty larceny.
    I'm not OCD. I'm CDO which is alphabetically correct.