Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Glass negative plates out of Russia?

Re: Glass negative plates out of Russia?

can you post info on where i may be able to buy some of those dry plates? i would love to shoot a few.

if you are interested in wet plate collodion check out this site as well:

http://www.collodion.com/forum/default.asp

cheers

eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

"There is no temperature guideline for wet-plate work, as you work by visual inspection along the way. You leave in the silver bath until the surface "looks" correct..when viewed under safelight."

Just to clear things up: the plate goes in the silver bath before it's developed and even before the exposure is made. The silver bath sensitizes the collodion-coated plate to light. The plate is brought out of the bath after about 3 minutes, then the exposure is made. I limit my development to 15-20 seconds when I pour the iron-based developer on the plate. I can watch development. If the image comes up before 8 seconds, exposure was too long or my chemicals are too hot. If it takes longer than 8 seconds for the image to begin to appear, exposure was too long or my chemistry is too cold. You are correct that the whole wet-plate process is intuitive and subjective, which makes it fun and unpredictable.
    Apparently there is a way of making dry plates with wet plate technology, stretching out the window of exposure to development by as long as an hour, and I plan to explore that further.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene McCluney View Post
    To get the "look" of a vintage photograph with modern films, you have to use a filter to remove the colors of light that vintage films such as ortho and blue-sensitive emulsions could not see. Ambrotypes and wet-plate images could only see blue light. Ortho films could only see blue and green.

There is no temperature guideline for wet-plate work, as you work by visual inspection along the way. You leave in the silver bath until the surface "looks" correct..when viewed under safelight.
    I have tried blue filter on my RB67 - there is no such taste.. ^
    It's a great words: the surface "looks" correct. I think I should try more to get an experience.

dwross, Thank You! I'm reading now thelightfarm - there is much interesting information.

eddie, I can suggest You only one thing... next time I'll be in Slavich, I'll take several plates for You and send them by EMSpost.

I'm more interested in dry plates than in wet.. but I'll look thruoght. Thank You.

Bruce Schultz, I have another problem - image in center of the plate comes up faster then at the edges.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Schultz View Post
    "There is no temperature guideline for wet-plate work, as you work by visual inspection along the way. You leave in the silver bath until the surface "looks" correct..when viewed under safelight."

Just to clear things up: the plate goes in the silver bath before it's developed and even before the exposure is made. The silver bath sensitizes the collodion-coated plate to light. The plate is brought out of the bath after about 3 minutes, then the exposure is made.
    It is my understanding that the "look" of the plate coming out of the silver bath indicates the degree of sensitization. If it doesn't have a certain "look" then you put it back in for a period of time. (Of course you view under safelight conditions)

While glass plates seem like a "cool" way to go, considering their extreme expense from the sole producer of them (Slavich), wouldn't it be "just as good" to purchase Ortho film from Ilford for that vintage look?

BTW, Ilford still has plate coating equipment, but doesn't produce plates now.

Gene,
    Ilford still have the capacity to produce POP paper, they won't do that either. Run by accountants.
    Pete

"the "look" of the plate coming out of the silver bath indicates the degree of sensitization. If it doesn't have a certain "look" then you put it back in for a period of time. (Of course you view under safelight conditions)"

No. If 3 minutes doesn't do the job, then the silver bath has a problem. It either needs testing for ph or it needs testing for specific gravity.

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Watkins View Post
    Gene,
    Ilford still have the capacity to produce POP paper, they won't do that either. Run by accountants.
    Pete
    No, they have the patents and an intent to produce POP paper. But the formula they have isn't compatible with their coating line, so there will be a delay while they work out a formula that works.

I believe the plate coating equipment was left behind when they moved the facilities to Mobberley in the 1970's.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Tjugen View Post
    I believe the plate coating equipment was left behind when they moved the facilities to Mobberley in the 1970's.
    That would be too early. IIRC they only quit holography plate production some years ago.

Sevo

So, it is possible, that Ilford _will_ produce plates?

And is Slavich so expencive? I shouldn't pay for shipping (it is uneasy to send glass)... maybe it couses? What was the last price of plates while they were in stock?