Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: A List of Important and Influential Photographers

Re: A List of Important and Influential Photographers

What about "The father of candid photography"?

Erich Salomon
    or Ralph Morse
    or Peter Stackpole

Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post
    here's a pretty democratic attempt at the same thing ...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_photographers
    I was delighted to see Jack Boucher's name on that list--he has created a very large part of what amounts to the nation's official memory of historic buildings and structures, and did so quite beautifully. Plus, he's a heck of a nice guy.

Bruce

runs a monkey grinder Steve M Hostetter's Avatar

The late (great)! Reinhard Wolf from Hamburg Germany... The guy was original ,, king of the 900mm-1800mm focal range lenses.. really no one like him. I've got a great shot of him and Andy Worhal standing in front of a mirror...

runs a monkey grinder Steve M Hostetter's Avatar

two pics of Reinhard

Quote Originally Posted by aphexafx View Post
    I am one of the ones who thinks Hiroshi Sugimoto should be on this ~list~.

But, one of his works is used as the cover for the new U2 album (which I happened to notice at the bookstore the other day) - so does that ruin him and make his work "too commercial?”
    No, it was the editions of 1,000 that made his work too commercial

I think we're reaching the point of sillyness with the list (and don't get my started on the wikipedia one...); for anyone to have really 'made it', they almost certainly had an influence to whom their works are similar, yet they also make something different to which the next generation can cling to.
    It is at the same time too easy to say "Sanders begets the Bechers who begets Gursky, Struth, etc--so Sanders is 'more influential'
    but that doesn't really tell the story.
    Anything that can be categorized as a "genre" can, in turn, have its own spheres of influence, creating nigh upon infinite numbers of 'influential' people in their fields.
    That said, however, it is still a fun topic :-)

Quote Originally Posted by mrpengun View Post
    No, it was the editions of 1,000 that made his work too commercial
    Ha! But it changes nothing...if I could sell 1000 prints I would in a heartbeat. More power to him!

Besides, his architecture series editions are huge 58 x 47 prints produced in editions of five (I believe). That's respectable, isn't it?

Plus he's cool.

Votes for Weegee and Raghu Rai (and maybe you can use the Magnum link for him)

Roman Loranc gets more votes as an influential photographer than Robert Frank? That's amazing. Robert Frank, with "The Americans," was one of the most influential photographers of the 20th century, some would say THE most influential but almost any student of photography would put him somewhere on a list of the top 10. I happen to know Roman because he was a fellow student in a workshop I attended a few years ago. He's a very very fine photographer and a very nice person. But more influential than Robert Frank?
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by aphexafx View Post
    Ha! But it changes nothing...if I could sell 1000 prints I would in a heartbeat. More power to him!

Besides, his architecture series editions are huge 58 x 47 prints produced in editions of five (I believe). That's respectable, isn't it?

Plus he's cool.
    Yeah, he has "a well sustained market presence"-- his huge prints are editions of 3 or 5 usually--and thus sell for 6 figures
    but he makes loads of other editions. I think the theatre series came in different printing methods and sizes in editions of 1,000/500/300/100/20/5
    but, of course, kudos to him for being able to. If I could, I certainly would be as well :-)
    Also, he very thoughtful; everything I have read of his in discussion of his work or photography as a medium are all well considered and interesting. More than I can say for a lot of his contemporaries.

Richard M. Coda

Not a large, or even extensive list (yet), but I am doing a series on "Inspirations/Influences" on my blog. I just made this presentation to our LF club here in Phoenix and it was well received. It is "image" based, not "photographer" based, along the lines of the books "Counterparts: Form and Emotion in Photographs" by Weston J. Naef, and "Double Take: A Comparative Look at Photographs" by Richard Whelan.
    Photographs by Richard M. Coda
    my blog
    Primordial: 2010 - Photographs of the Arizona Monsoon
    "Speak softly and carry an 8x10"
    "I shoot a HYBRID - Arca/Canham 11x14"