Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: #%$& Glasses

Re: #%$& Glasses

Frank, I've worn glasses since the age of 10, have been wearing trifocals for years. I have no problem focusing my Nikons, use a loupe -- gotta get a better one -- with my Graphics.

Gripe and bear it, guy! Loss of near vision with age is a fact of life.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

I've gotten pretty used to glasses since I've worn them since third grade. (Actually, I spent first, second, and part of third grade in special education classes because I couldn't see, and everyone just thought I was stupid. Well, they may have been right about that part...)

Now 52, I have a few pairs of glasses of varying prescriptions for various distances, and a cheap set of readers for spotting. An adjustable Nikon loupe still focuses pretty well on the ground glass. My left eye still resolves pretty well if I can get it to focus at the right distance. My right eye had a corneal transplant back in 1985, and still has enough lovely coma and diffusion to put a Struss Pictorial lens to shame!
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    But it sucks! Worse than bunions and impotence! This getting old crap blows so much.
    I guess I am just moaning...
    You guess? There's no guess here -- you be moaning like a gnarly old blues singer!

I've been wearing glasses since I was what? 12? I've got enough astigmatism that I'm dangerous without it corrected. Now I'm wearing bifocals.

You had it good for 48 years Frank, and with luck you'll never learn how difficult it is for some of us to focus a view camera. So suck it up, be a mensch, and leave the moaning to the blues singers.

Bruce Watson

These glasses in the link below have solved the problem of misplaced spectacles. I don't even notice them when they aren't on my nose. And they are a great conversation piece when you disconnect the magnets.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_6hbbo5ylso_b

I use the flip up magnifiers from Cabelas sporting goods on-line. They clip to your glasses and flip up for normal viewing. They are basically reading glasses, but you don't have to keep switching glasses. Wish I had gotten the strongest ones though.
    They do get in the way of the spot meter, so I have to take them off for that. Fogging is still the biggest problem under the dark cloth.

Like you Frank, my 20/13 vision (I never needed a loupe for focusing the enlarger) went to hell when I hit 50. Reading glasses are now my constant companion. I buy cheap packs of them from Costco because I am constantly losing or damaging them.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Complaining about the tribulations of getting older accomplishes about as much as complaining about the weather.

It happens to all of us. Deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Louie Powell View Post
    Complaining about the tribulations of getting older accomplishes about as much as complaining about the weather.

It happens to all of us. Deal with it.
    Nothing wrong with a little humorous commiseration.
    I've got my gear, now what?

Photography Blog

Snort... as a lifetime glasses wearer I can empathise, however., try again when you get cataracts.
    good thing I like soft focus.

Quote Originally Posted by dazedgonebye View Post
    Did someone in this thread mention using strong readers to focus without a loupe?
    I wear 2.5x readers for normal close work. I wonder if a pair of 4 or 5s would allow me to focus?
    Yes, this is what I do when shooting 8x10...compose without glasses, then pop on a pair of +3s for focusing without a loupe.
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com