Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What filter system to handle a bunch of old brass lenses?

What filter system to handle a bunch of old brass lenses?

For my "modern" lenses, and the not-so-modern ones that have standard filter threads, I merely use step-up rings to a few filter sizes. For the odd but "special" lens (e.g., 14" Berlin Dagor) I use a solution custom to that lens, like a clamp-on adapter or SK Grimes custom threaded mount to a common filter thread.

However, that leaves a whole bunch of old, mostly brass, mostly small lenses that either have no filter threads or have non-standard threads or are too tiny (think Protar V) to take a step-up ring. What ideas do you have for filtering these lenses without a whole bunch of expensive custom step-up or clamp-on rings? I was thinking something that I could cantilever off the front standard like the Linhof holder, but it would have to use a common screw-in filter size to utilize my already too-large collection of filters (and hopefully not be too large, as these lenses are mostly tiny).

It would be used on either a 171 Arca or a 4x5 Galvin, and I could machine a custom adapter to those cameras if needed. Thanks.
    They are ill discoverers that think there is no land, when they can see nothing but sea.
    -Francis Bacon

Re: What filter system to handle a bunch of old brass lenses?

I use gels on my sinar BTL shutter.

One option is a compendium with a filter slot like the Linhof compendium or a filter holder like the Sinar filter holder that attaches to the camera rather than the lens. Another is an inexpensive clip-on filter holder for 3" gels with barndoors made by Voss that you can find used. Another option is the Lee gel snap. For large lenses, yet another possibility is to use 4" gels taped to the lens--roll the tape into a little tube, one little tube on each side of the front rim of the lens, and tape the filter to the front of the lens. I've used all of these methods at one time or another.

I use the Cokin X-pro system with an universal adapter on my old giants.

I got so many lenses, and I have to shoot fast, I just hold up a filter in front of the lens. I use 4x4 Polyester filters. If I had to have a holder on the front of each lens, whew!

Has anyone used the Lee Gelsnap system? Calumet has a good picture that shows the elastic bands that hold it to the lens: http://www.calumetphoto.com/item/LE5002/
    Seems pretty simple, provided your lenses are under 82mm outside diameter (which may not apply to a lot of older lenses).
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/drew_saunders/

Quote Originally Posted by drew.saunders View Post
    Has anyone used the Lee Gelsnap system? Calumet has a good picture that shows the elastic bands that hold it to the lens: http://www.calumetphoto.com/item/LE5002/
    Seems pretty simple, provided your lenses are under 82mm outside diameter (which may not apply to a lot of older lenses).
    I've got one. For my style of "fast" shooting it is just too much trouble. I just hold the filter in front. If you are a contemplative, 5 sheet a day style of photographer, then it is a good system. If you are a 50 to 60 sheet a day photographer, it's to slow.

Calumet makes, or did make, a behind-lens filter holder called "Xenophon". It mounts to the back of the lensboard and takes gel filters. I use one for a 121/8 Super-Angulon- it's great. Would work perfectly for your application.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

I use a 4x4 inch Lee holder that attaches to the front of the lens with a big black rubber band. With a few larger lenses, I've had to get a few 6.6x6.6 filters, and am coming up with a home-made filter holder somewhat similar to the Lee system.

If you use a filter behind the lens, go with a gel filter as glass will shift the focus slightly. I prefer glass in front, given the delicacy of gel filters, but whatever it takes...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

I made a special holder that fits on the front of my brass lenses and any other lens of mine that does not have a shutter.... that is most of them. I put my Packard shutter on the back and made a filter slot for my Lee 4" filters to slip into. It is made out of walnut, like everything else I made. I recently made some barn doors to slide over the ends but I don't have pictures of that yet. The adjustment screws allow it to fit on many different lenses.

Jim