Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toyo Camera Help!!??

Toyo Camera Help!!??

Hello,

Does anyone know the difference between the Toyo 45II and the Toyo 45AX?

Which one is better?

Thanks for the help.

Octogenarian

Re: Toyo Camera Help!!??

The AII has a revolving back as well as a folding focusing hood (ground glass protector).

The back can be turned from vertical to horizontal without removing it from the camera.

The AX is the exact same camera, minus the revolving back and folding focusing hood. The lack of these two items makes the AX lighter weight. They can be added as accessories, if desired.

The weight and the price are the only differences.

Where can I get hold of the revolving back to add to the AX?

Thanks

Octogenarian

The last time I priced a revolving back, it was in the $600 range. Can be ordered from Midwest Photo Exchange.

I have an extra folding focusing hood for the Toyo. IMHO, it's a much more important accessory than the revolving back Contact me if you are interested.

The rotating back on the 45AX only takes a second or two longer to change orientations compared to the (often stiff) revolving back. The revolving back comes "standard" on some of the Toyo monorails, so if you plan to pick up one of those for studio or architectural work, you'd have both, and for probably less than the new price of just the revolving back.

The folding focusing hood is quite handy as a GG protector, and marginally useful as a focusing hood. It's only about 3 inches deep, so it doesn't shade much in bright sun.

Both can be found occasionally on the used market, eBay, KEH, Midwest, etc.

Don't underestimate the value of the rotating back. I use it almost everytime I take the camera out, which is thousands of times. Also invaluable is the optional folding rubber magnifying focusing hood - far more useful than the folding hood that is standard on the camera.

lazy retired bum

I had a Toyo 45A for many years. With all due respect to Toyon, I could never figure out why anyone wanted the revolving back. As Ralph said, it truly takes 5 seconds or less to change from vertical to horizontal; the back is quite secure and functioned well for me. My "A" came with the folding hood. I also never could quite figure out what it is useful for except as a overly exotic ground glass protector. My old "A" had the hard plastic knobs rather than the nicer softer rubberized ones on the AX and AII.

All the metal Toyo field cameras are incredibly rigid, sturdy, well made and highly functional machines that do exactly what their specs say.

Good luck.

Eric

I've never used the AX back, so I can't attest to its functionality. Though I'm sure it works well and reliably. I do know that with the AII I can rotate the revolving back with one hand, leaving the other hand to hold the camera so that it doesn't change position - something I am prone to induce. I can also change orientation under the dark cloth, while traveling on a speeding train, and while operating under heavy sniper fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Barker View Post
    The rotating back on the 45AX only takes a second or two longer to change orientations compared to the (often stiff) revolving back. The revolving back comes "standard" on some of the Toyo monorails, so if you plan to pick up one of those for studio or architectural work, you'd have both, and for probably less than the new price of just the revolving back.

The folding focusing hood is quite handy as a GG protector, and marginally useful as a focusing hood. It's only about 3 inches deep, so it doesn't shade much in bright sun.

Both can be found occasionally on the used market, eBay, KEH, Midwest, etc.
    I echo Ralph's conclusion regarding the rotating vs revolving back. If you have the opportunity, give both a try. You may determine that the AX is a better choice.

I have the folding focusing hood and consider it a good investment, certainly as a GG protector and, under some conditions, useful for composing. It swings out of the way if you wish to use a loop.

I've had cameras with revolving and rotating backs and the time/effort difference was almost non-existant. I've never used a Toyo folding focusing hood but I've used the Linhof. It was almost useless as a substitute for a dark cloth because the sides were made of leatherette or some other sort of soft fabric, which meant you couldn't press your forehead firmly against the hood to keep out the light unless you used one hand to hold it open. That left only one hand to do everything else, which isn't enough. If the Toyo hood has metal sides (like I think some of the Graflex ones do) then it would be much more useful.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.