Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lightest 8x10 Holders

Lightest 8x10 Holders

Have any of you folks done an analysis of the lightest weight holders for 8x10. (I'm sure someone has.) I did do a search, but not that exhaustive. I've seen wood ones for over $300 - wow... I'm not even sure how wood stays dimensionally stable with temp and humidity changes... and I don't know how long it would take me to buy a bunch of them...

What does everyone think?

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Re: Lightest 8x10 Holders

Lightweight 8x10 film holders = oxymoron. Lightweight 8x10 anything, actually, LOL.

As best I can tell, Lotus:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...3&postcount=26

They'll cost more than $300 though. According to xe.com, 330 Euro converts to $413.87 today.

I think it is reasonable question. I only go up to 8x10, but for many people on this forum 8x10 is small and 4x5 is like a spy camera.

I have some all plastic 8x10 holders which are at least half the weight of some that I have with metal or wood parts.

Off hand I don't know which ones those light ones are. But certainly if i'm putting 6 holders in a backpack, those are more desirable.

I would not spend 300 on a wood 8x10 holder, when new Fidelity holders can be found at calumet.

Sal,

This is a surprise. I thought that the wood ones were 1/2 the weight... that might justify the cost... certainly not for two ounces of savings...
    EigerStudios

maybe 3 holders + a tent + an empty film box can do the work.

Probably the Mido holders, I'd imagine. Not without their issues, of course. As I recall, Tim Atherton used a set as part of his 8x10 kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Songyun View Post
    maybe 3 holders + a tent + an empty film box can do the work.
    I generally take 6. I don't like to reload in the field... I do that back at the car. Sometimes I like to try a different dev or exposure for the same shot and I don't want to have to think about it.

Everyone has their own style - I'm not suggesting mine is "correct." I have gotten some nice lenses recently and they are heavier than my old ones. FilmHolders.com says his holders are 1 lb ea, or 16 oz's. ($315 ea., 2 month wait). If that's true, then if plastic ones are 20-24, then there is 4-8 oz savings per.

With 6 holders, that's almost a pound to 3 pounds less in the backpack. A pound is no big deal, 3 lbs would be welcome....

Lenny
    EigerStudios

Carbon fiber holders would be ideal but I've never found any. Would be expensive I'm sure. Maybe someone knows of a source.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Definitely Mido holders if you can find them, and they also take up less than half the space, so you can bring more film into the field. They are thin double sided filmholders that are used with a clamshell spacer frame. I looked for years and finally secured a stash.

The old Kodak and Folmer Graflex wooden holders are a bit lighter than modern plastic, and lots cheaper than Lotus.

Before finding the Midos I was considering making a set of carbon fiber darkslides for my wooden holders. It would have been expensive, but the weight savings started to add up with around 5 or 6 holders.