Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Picasa available for OS X and Linux (free download)

Picasa available for OS X and Linux (free download)

As many of us know, storing large .TIF and .PSD files on external hard drives can result in slow and arduous searching, even on a fast machine. I'm talking about large format film scans, where each file goes from 150MB to 1 GB or more.

For whatever reason, the programs I have used for perusing these images, sit around generating thumbnails, for each directory you try to view - just when you want to see the contents of the directory. In software engineer parlance, that's called "lazy initialization", and while it may make sense to someone trying to conserve resources, it's annoying for the user. (Perhaps their target audience are users with lots of 2 MB JPG files.)

In refreshing contrast, Picasa blasts through these large collections of big files, and lets you browse through thumbnails at a very good pace. Why ? because Picasa generates its own thumbnails, when you first set it up, and it runs a background task which continues to refresh that library, whenever you insert/update/delete and image. Unlike some programs, it leaves your original file structure alone, and whatever metadata it uses, it maintains separately. If you shut it down, it automatically catches up and updates its own metadata in background, when you start it up again. In software parlance, that's called multi-threading, and it's a more effective solution.

Just to be clear: I don't use Picasa for photo editing - just as a fast file browser.

Picasa runs circles around Adobe Bridge - but if you know of something better or faster than Picasa, please share it with the rest of us !

See http://picasa.google.com

Re: Picasa available for OS X and Linux (free download)

Interesting, both that Picasa is now available for Mac's and that so many here read but haven't responded, either ambivalence or indifference? My only response that if you use Picasa and eBlogger, be careful with your images on Picasa and don't share images between the two without reading Google's system for image sharing.

From what I understand Google actually stores eBlogger images on Picasa, but their designated for eBlogger entries and not visible with Picasa. Once you actually tie the images across databases, meaning "import" them into Picasa for viewing, you're stuck, meaning all images on eBlogger must remain in Picasa and in the same folders, or else they will disappear in your eBlogger posts. This includes any duplicate images in multiple posts, either as the same individual image(s) in individual posts or the same image(s) in multiple posts (which is difficult to track the filename). And there is no undo to the sharing.

And I guess the question is if you want a Google Picasa background process running on your Mac? We all have those anyway (Google's new Earth sync/updater), Apple's Me (iDisk) server, etc.
    --Scott--

Scott M. Knowles, MS-Geography
    scott@wsrphoto.com

"All things merge into one, and a river flows through it."
    - Norman MacLean

Thanks Scott.

I don't use the "import" feature, as far as I know, and I don't have eBlogger. I don't use the tool for putting images on the web or blog: just a file browser.

That background task only runs when the app is running, and it's just listening for files being inserted/deleted/updated, so it's not a resource hog. There are so many background tasks running already, and this one is actually helpful.

And, as they say... you can't beat the price.

Lightroom can be set to generate file views from thumbs to 1:1 at file import so you can browse more quickly.

Ed -

For browsing purposes, is Lightroom faster than Adobe Bridge ?

I don't shoot many digital photos, so I don't need many of Lightroom's image-editing features - especially those which let you perform adjustments to batches of images. And I have Photoshop, which ships with Bridge.

Thanks !

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    For browsing purposes, is Lightroom faster than Adobe Bridge ?
    I have Lightroom 2 and Bridge CS3. LR2 runs circles around Bridge and I use it for the organizing and tracking of all my images, both born-digital and film scans.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Moore View Post
    I have Lightroom 2 and Bridge CS3. LR2 runs circles around Bridge and I use it for the organizing and tracking of all my images, both born-digital and film scans.
    Ditto. I actually keep different catalogs for different projects so that I can easily offload them to DVD once they are completed and I need the space moving forward. Lightroom uses extremely advanced cataloging and thumb-nailing which makes even 60MP+ files very easy to work with.

I can't quite imagine trading in Lightroom for...Picasa...

Thanks ! I will download a trial version and see how things go.

One thing I like about Picasa, is that you can browse more than one directory at a time. You don't have to open and close every branch of a directory tree. You see everything from whatever point you're at, down. If you're at the root of a tree, you see the entire thing at once.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    One thing I like about Picasa, is that you can browse more than one directory at a time. You don't have to open and close every branch of a directory tree. You see everything from whatever point you're at, down. If you're at the root of a tree, you see the entire thing at once.

LR2 does this and quite a bit more. For instance, say I wanted to find all of the images I shot with a Pentax K20D and a 31mm lens at f/1.8 at iso 200 that I tagged with the keyword "shadows". This just takes a couple of clicks. Scans work the same way, though, you'll have to keyword them yourself as there's no EXIF data captured with the film.

Well, I just tried a trial copy of Lightroom, and you're certainly right: It runs rings around Bridge.

Thanks !!

I'll try it for a while and see what... develops