Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glass Bottles

Glass Bottles

Now that I got my 1 gal Diafine developer kit, I need to mix it. Seems glass 1 G allon bottles are hard to come by these days. Used to be able to get fruit drink s in them, now all I can find is 4 liter Carlo Rossi wine, and after drinking al l that wine, I don't quite feel like mixing the developer.

Anybody got a favorite source? BUrp!./ Escuze mee. gotta get some bvertter vhien./ charrLIE

Glass Bottles

I got my amber glass bottles for my photographic chemistry at a scientific store nearby that sells base chemicals, geological instruments and other supplies. They were able to order them in one gallon size in three working days. I thought about ordering them myself off of the internet, but delivery from the local store insured that I did not have a problem with the glass getting broke during the shipment. Amber glass was the dominant selection, so I went for it.

Good Luck

Glass Bottles

Photographer's Formulary... Lousy website; good company.

Glass Bottles

Don't know about the rest of the country but around here some micro- breweries sell take home brew in refillable gallon jugs. Good beer, good bottle and won't give as bad a head ache as cheap vino.

Old School Wayne

Glass Bottles

Free 1 gallon amber glass bottles from Guitussic (sp) syrup at your local pharmacy. free free free

Glass Bottles

I agree with Wayne that pharmacies are a good source for free amber glass bottles in various sizes. They have plastic bottles too. Also ask any friends or neighbors that work in a biology/chemistry/medical lab for bottles. My lab tosses a few each day. The 1 L and 4 L solvent bottles are excellent, especially if they are plastic coated (the coating contains the glass and mess if you drop the bottle). Solvent bottles are clean when you get them - just allow the last few drops of solvent to evaporate.

I only use glass bottles for developers and other potions that degrade in an air permeable plastic bottle. Everything else goes in plastic bottles - fixer, stop bath, toners, stabilizers, hypo clearing agent, etc. Whenever possible, I use plastic measuring cylinders and containers also. A darkened room full of fragile glass is not a safe room. For what it is worth, in twenty years as a chemist, I've suffered one chemical burn and innumerable glassware cuts.

Tom Gould

Glass Bottles

The gallon size apple juice plastic jugs at the grocery stores are fine for holding solutions and they have a sturdy plastic handle. Pat

Glass Bottles

Charlie, why do you feel you need the glass? Diafine is so stable that you really don't need the dangers of glass in your darkroom. I have been using the same Diafine for the past year and a half with no problems or deviations! Just get the dark darkroom containers. Your going to love the Diafine but don't expect the speed that is stated!Cheers

Old School Wayne

Glass Bottles

"you really don't need the dangers of glass in your darkroom"

Huh?

Glass Bottles

Charlie:

Check with www.specialtybottle.com. They have all kinds and sizes of glass bottles.