Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soft Focus with a Bausch & Lomb Tessar??

Soft Focus with a Bausch & Lomb Tessar??

This weekend I made some soft focus images with one of the most ignored of all lenses. Nobody cares for old B&L Tessars. Why is that?

If you like soft focus, click on the link to see what an $80 lens can do. Let me know what you think?

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/Ba...ndLTessar.html

Re: Soft Focus with a Bausch & Lomb Tessar??

Hello Jim that pic of the porcelain pot and flowers is awesome , I think it really prooves your point here for sure........Frank

Jim: I think bottom feeding is more fun , your not puting out so much money as a top feeder would : very nice set of fotos :
    Lauren MacIntosh

Whats in back of you is the past and whats in front of you is the future now in the middle you have choices to make for yourself:

Jim, is this one "porcelain pot and tea things" shot wide open w/o soft focus?

In any case, very well done images and good to know that you can do this with a tessar lens.

Quote Originally Posted by frank hoerauf View Post
    Hello Jim that pic of the porcelain pot and flowers is awesome , I think it really prooves your point here for sure........Frank
    Thanks Frank.

Quote Originally Posted by seawolf66 View Post
    Jim: I think bottom feeding is more fun , your not puting out so much money as a top feeder would : very nice set of fotos :
    Oh, I'm plenty guilty of "investing" in some of the stupid $$ lenses

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Wei View Post
    Jim, is this one "porcelain pot and tea things" shot wide open w/o soft focus?

In any case, very well done images and good to know that you can do this with a tessar lens.
    Yes, all of these were shot wide open (my only choice since the aperture went to pieces) and it will probably remain in soft mode as long as I own it. Thanks.

Jim, the tulips are lovely. I have a 210 Tessar that works in reverse. The center of the rear element is scarfed up, so the more you stop it down, the softer it gets. Maybe I should try your mod.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Tis a lovely effect, and a lovely set of images, Jim! I must confess, I've thought of similarly chopping up my Nikkor 450-m Tessar... and now, if I ever do, I can blame it on you!

Mind you, it's only a matter of time til some Australian ebay seller starts modifying Tessars, engraving them as Eidoscopes, and selling them with your "recommendation"...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    Tis a lovely effect, and a lovely set of images, Jim! I must confess, I've thought of similarly chopping up my Nikkor 450-m Tessar... and now, if I ever do, I can blame it on you!

Mind you, it's only a matter of time til some Australian ebay seller starts modifying Tessars, engraving them as Eidoscopes, and selling them with your "recommendation"...
    Not necessary, I'll be big and trade you for the lesser Nikkor. That's the kind of friend I am.

Don't give that guy any ideas, he may read these posts. <note to self>; do searches for trophy engraving machine on ebay so you can create rare and unusual eidoscop lenses out of old junkers.......</note>

multiplex

hi jim

great set of images!
    i almost like my 21cm tessar
    more than some of the lenses i spent $$ on.
    i use it more than anything else i own ...

john

Hi Jim,
    My 5x7 Ic (7.5") has bad haze inside the front cell, which has resisted the usual disassembly methods. Extreme measures: drilling holes for lens spanner; naptha; wd40 have failed to budge the name ring. Too many dings. Will have to machine it out. It will be good for an experiment like yours! A practical question: what did you use as a spacer under the front element? I imagine 1/16" extra space might be a starting point. Absent the name ring a rubber O-ring might hold the front glass in place.