Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rare American Ads from 1848-1875

Rare American Ads from 1848-1875

Antique & Classic Camera Blog
    www.antiquecameras.net/blog.html

Re: Rare American Ads from 1848-1875

Hello Dan,

Definitely lots of interesting things there. I wonder what Rotten Stone was in a list of chemicals offered in one of the ads.

I noticed an 1867 ad from Holmes, Booth & Haydens, indicating that they would continue to manufacture cameras, along with some comments about Charles F. Usener. Almost seems like trying to convince the readers that they were still in business, at least going by the manner in which it was worded. I would like to include a link back to your page, so I can reference that article. That's the latest published item I have seen so far for HB&H.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

I love this old stuff! It make me wish I could travel time to experience it for myself. But liking indoor plumbing as much as I do I'd want to be guaranteed a ride back to the 21st Century.

Gordon -- Rotten stone is a very very fine abrasive.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Moat View Post
    Hello Dan,

Definitely lots of interesting things there. I wonder what Rotten Stone was in a list of chemicals offered in one of the ads.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography
    Rotten stone is a very fine abrasive used in "buffing" the silver surface of a daguerrotype plate before sensitizing it.

Gordon

I have cracked the HBH story !! From "The Photographer's Friend" Volume 2, 1872:

"On January 1, 1869, the celebrated manufacturers Messrs. Holmes, Booth & Hayden, conducting the leading Photographic Stock House, in the U. S. advised him that they desired to abandon the Stock trade, remarking in their letter that " if all our customers, were as prompt, correct and business like, as you are, we should never think of leaving this most interesting business." Not wishing to remove to New York, the bulk of their stock was purchased, and that House, after closing the business in the Photographic Stock Department, issued the following complimentary circular to the Trade. " Having permanently retired from the Photographic Stock Trade, we would cheerfully reccommend, to our friends and customers in that department, the very reliable House of ' Richard' Walzl, in Baltimore, who is a gentleman of fine business qualifications, and we feel confident will give complete satisfaction to all our former customers, who may extend to him their patronage," signed " Holmes, Booth & Hayden."

So, HBH sold its entire photographic inventory to Richard Walzl's photographic emporium on Jan 1, 1869..

I've updated the HB&H Serial Number List with your findings. That gives 1854 through 1868 as manufacturing time; a short 14 years in the lens business.

http://hbh.gordonmoat.com - Holmes, Booth & Haydens Serial Numbers List

That's really a fantastic bit of information. Now all I need is more example lenses, to get a better idea of production volume. It appears that barely more than 10000 lenses were made by HB&H in their brief history, and that later production was likely suffering (lower volume than early production). Thanks for sharing your great finds.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

see attached

A quick search for Richard Walzl landed me on this page:

http://www.state.nj.us/state/darm/li...10images5.html

Scroll down and you can see a portrait of Abraham Lincoln, Commander in Chief. I would imagine it was quite the honor at the time to photograph him.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

Thank you both for all the history we can find thru both of you folks : Thanks
    Lauren MacIntosh

Whats in back of you is the past and whats in front of you is the future now in the middle you have choices to make for yourself:

Drew Wiley

Rottenstone is still available, and is used with paraffin oil and pumice to polish funiture varnishes, although nowadays scotchbrite pads are more frequently used.