Thread: Rear tilt movement..

Rear tilt movement..

Hi, I'm Ryan
    I'm pretty new to LF.
    I started with Canham 5x7 and 4x10, but I had to let them go because it is very hard to find the films and even place to develope here in Korea. So I decided to go with 4x5, and I bought Arca-Swiss Misura. I've been trying to understand all the movements and I realized that this one doesn't have rear tilt. However, misura has good tilt of +-35 in the front with orbix of additional +-15, shift of 78mm up & 85mm down in the front and back and swing of +-45 in the front and back.
    I think when I want to use back tilt, I could just use the tripod to make back of the camera downward and use the front tilt. Would this give me the same result as using the back tilt instead of using tripod?
    I am not sure if I am making sense to you.
    It would help me a lot if you could tell me the difference between using back tilt and using tripod to make the back of camera downward.
    Thank you.

Re: Rear tilt movement..

I am not familiar with the details of the Misura, however what you suggest should work within the following limitation. As you tilt the tripod down, the lens would become lower than the back and you might need to raise the front to frame your subject as you desire. Until you run out of front rise you will be able to do what you need. Often only small amounts of tilt are required and you will be alright.

Tilting the tripod changes the framing (what is included in the picture) and induces keystoning (causes parallels to converge), tilting the back affects keystoning and tilts the plane of focus.

If all of this is unfamiliar to you then perhaps you need a book on view camera technique.

In your case you would tilt the camera back (aim the lens slightly upward) and then do a base tilt forward with the front standard to a level position to simulate a rear base tilt.

The only advantage of that is to distort the perspective and make the foreground loom large relative to the background which appears to fade away. When you do this, you have to be very careful that you stop the lens down so that the middle of the image is in focus. Also, if the scene has verticals objects in the middle of the scene they are hard to keep sharp. You might not see that until you try to enlarge them.

That is one reason I prefer to use my Arca Swiss F-Line metric with the front Orbix tilt. Focusing is much easier and it requires less stopping down than rear base tilt.

Correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Kim View Post
    Hi, I'm Ryan
    I'm pretty new to LF.
    I started with Canham 5x7 and 4x10, but I had to let them go because it is very hard to find the films and even place to develope here in Korea. So I decided to go with 4x5, and I bought Arca-Swiss Misura. I've been trying to understand all the movements and I realized that this one doesn't have rear tilt. However, misura has good tilt of +-35 in the front with orbix of additional +-15, shift of 78mm up & 85mm down in the front and back and swing of +-45 in the front and back.
    I think when I want to use back tilt, I could just use the tripod to make back of the camera downward and use the front tilt. Would this give me the same result as using the back tilt instead of using tripod?
    I am not sure if I am making sense to you.
    It would help me a lot if you could tell me the difference between using back tilt and using tripod to make the back of camera downward.
    Thank you.

Unless you are doing something very unusual, you can get away with only 10º of tilt, or less. To do that with the tripod, you do not need to move the camera very far. Then move the front standard to get near what you want to achieve. You can also consider the tilt of the front standard as a minor correction, instead of constantly moving the tripod.

If you had a geared tripod, the actions would be a bit smoother and easier. However, with a little practice, you can probably get repeatable set-ups without much time involvement.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography