Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TMAX 400 processing

TMAX 400 processing

Hello,

I have been processing the TMX 400 (120 format) with TMAX developper successefully.
    No problem of dichroïc fog.
    My 4X5" equipement will soon allow me to use this film in a larger format and I've read that the TMAX developper is not adapted with sheet films.

Then, I have a lot of questions :

Do I have to change the developper ? (don't want to have a bottle of TMAX for 120 and another chemistery for 4X5")
    What are the differences between D76 and TMAX ?
    I use a jobo CPE2 processor and John Sexton advice is to concentrate D76 in 1+1, do I have to change concentration with the CPE2, or time ?
    Do you have any experience with N- and N+ processing with D76 and TMAX 400 and 100 films ?

Many thanks for your patience and for those who can help me.

Christian

Thomas

Re: TMAX 400 processing

I have gone through the same decision making bevore. I developed TMAX 400 / 100 roll films in TMAX developer and then switched to 4x5 sheet films, which, according to Kodak specifications, should not be developed in TMAX developer. So I switched to D-76 and later to XTOL.

When I did the switch my very personal impression (no science here) was that the TMAX negatives developed in D-76 look better than the ones developed in TMAX developer, so I have also used D-76 for roll films as well. Like you, I only want to use one developer. I do rotary development in Jobo tubes, for sheet and roll films.

Since about a year or so I have switched from D-76 to XTOL because of the ability to push TMAX 400 films to 3200, which I do sometimes. Otherwise there is little difference between D-76 and XTOL, I find. I always develop with undiluted developer.

I scan the negatives after development. I find that scanning works better if you overexpose the films by one stop and then develop at N-1.

For development for XTOL and D-76 times (normal, push and pull) I suggest you look here: http://www.butzi.net/articles/tuning1.htm. I use these times and they give me good results.

Greetings, Thomas

Chris, I've had good results with Pyrocat in glycol. Matt

Quote Originally Posted by chris6869 View Post
    Hello,

I have been processing the TMX 400 (120 format) with TMAX developper successefully.
    No problem of dichroïc fog.
    My 4X5" equipement will soon allow me to use this film in a larger format and I've read that the TMAX developper is not adapted with sheet films.

Then, I have a lot of questions :

Do I have to change the developper ? (don't want to have a bottle of TMAX for 120 and another chemistery for 4X5")
    What are the differences between D76 and TMAX ?
    I use a jobo CPE2 processor and John Sexton advice is to concentrate D76 in 1+1, do I have to change concentration with the CPE2, or time ?
    Do you have any experience with N- and N+ processing with D76 and TMAX 400 and 100 films ?

Many thanks for your patience and for those who can help me.

Christian
    Dichroic fog is the reason Kodak reccomends TMAX RS.

Don Bryant

I hated Tmax RS so I scrapped it. Xtol diluted 1+1, D-76 diluted 1+1 do wonders for this film as far as N+/- development and tonality is concerned. I've never used a jobo processor but diluting developer will require extended development time. But not by much though. Straight D-76 N time for me is 7:30. At 1+1 it's 9:30. I use BTZS tubes.
    Make sure you have enough stock solution for the amount of film in the tank. I use 30ml of stock solution per 4x5 sheet.

Thank you all, thank you Thomas.

The datas of Paul are great, lot of time won !
    As I use a Jobo processor, times are shorter or I have to dilute more. This charts are great, I think there is no difference between CPP2 and CPE2.

D76 will be my choice, even if TMAX is easier to use, being a liquid.

Lot of people use Xtol, it seems to be a great developer.
    I have been in a Zone System workshop few years ago. The teacher asked me to chose and bring a developer. Xtol was my choice. After tests and mesurements with a sensitometer, it appeared that Xtol was not linear. Then, the teatcher prefered to chose an other developer.
    I will never know if this non linearity was so problematic.
    I've never used Xtol with subjects since, only with a grey card and a sensitometer.

Christian

Kodak developer charecteristics:

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...?pq-path=14053

XTOL 1:1 does a very good job with TMY.

From what I've experienced Xtol 1+1, and the films that I've used it with, it's pretty linear (HP5, FP4, TMY, Efke 25, Efke IR, Delta 100). My step wedges confirmed this. Just make sure you have enough stock solution in the mix. Another thing I like about Xtol is it's shelf life. I have a container (accordian type to keep air out) of it that I mixed almost a year ago. Still works great. Next time I mix up a batch, I'm going to try glycol instead of water. I did this with pyrocat-hd and very pleased.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    I hated Tmax RS so I scrapped it.
    What is there to hate about it?

Don Bryant

It gave me crap tonality, crap contrast range and too high base + fog with my film of choice, HP5+. Sorry if you found "hate" too strong.