Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HP Combi Tank

HP Combi Tank

What are the attributes and bad points about the HP Combi Tank for processing 4x5? What about Jobo's non-inversion tank setup?

Re: HP Combi Tank

Hi Adam, if you type Combi tank into the search area you will find more info than you'll know what to do with. I will say though that for myself, I wouldn't be without mine. I've had it about 8 years now and it has never leaked, dripped or caused any problems with uneven development. I think it is as close to perfect as you could ask for a darkroom tool.

Tori

They are a superb device for washing up to 6 4x5 negatives after you have developed the negs by some other method. The tanks take about 1 litre of chemicals and the manufacturer recommends only developing 4 sheets of film for decent results. As I said, great film washers!
    Pete.

Drew Wiley

I use the internal holders only for washing 4x5's in a big wash tank. Never could get
    this device to develop film worth a darn, and gave up on it a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Watkins View Post
    They are a superb device for washing up to 6 4x5 negatives after you have developed the negs by some other method. The tanks take about 1 litre of chemicals and the manufacturer recommends only developing 4 sheets of film for decent results. As I said, great film washers!
    Pete.
    Pete,

I wrote the instructions and that is not what I wrote. BTW, the current instructions are the ones I wrote in 1980. Here is what you are referring to:

"When processing very valuable films it is advisable to insert
    only two films on each side of the carrier with no film in the
    center slots. "

For regular processing 6 sheets in color or B&W are no problem and, if desired with B&W 12 sheets can be done by loading 2 sheets in each slot base side to base side.

Sorry if the instructions confused you.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    I use the internal holders only for washing 4x5's in a big wash tank. Never could get
    this device to develop film worth a darn, and gave up on it a long time ago.
    Why not?

This topic has been written about on many, many threads. I have used a combi for thousands of sheets of film with a very low problem rate compared with other systems. It does take a bit of practice before you get it right however.

i throw in my 2 cents about the yankee tank . i am a user : ) like the tank . never had any problems . fits 12 sheets and i can develop 2 1/4 X 3 1/4 .

i borrowed a hp tank from a friend and found it to fiddly ( is that a word fiddly : to much to fidget with )

Drew Wiley

Bob - I always got surge marks. I'll admit this was way back when I was just learning
    to develop film. Moved to trays ever since, or once in awhile drums. I know some
    people use these as dip tanks with success. Unfortunately, don't do 4x5 that often
    anymore (mostly 8x10). Also tank was rather slow to fill and drain, so suspectible to
    development wedging. Is there something I missed from the early instructions for this
    device?

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Bob - I always got surge marks. I'll admit this was way back when I was just learning
    to develop film. Moved to trays ever since, or once in awhile drums. I know some
    people use these as dip tanks with success. Unfortunately, don't do 4x5 that often
    anymore (mostly 8x10). Also tank was rather slow to fill and drain, so suspectible to
    development wedging. Is there something I missed from the early instructions for this
    device?
    Were you using the proper volume of chemistry? Were you using inversion agitation? Did you open the air path while filling and draining? If so fill time and drain times are the same.