Thread: Elastic band shutter

Downstairs

Elastic band shutter

Can someone kindly point me at a diagram or a photo of a front-end guillotine or elastic band shutter? I have a very large 360mm lens (Stella by Sutter, Basle) and no longer have a Sinar shutter to stick behind it.

Re: Elastic band shutter

I can't steer you to any diagrams or info, but I had the same problem with a lens. What I did was ream out a piece of ABS plastic drain pipe to slip over the front of the lens. I glued that to a piece of an old dark slide with a hole cut the size of the pipe opening. Then I glued some dark slide strips on each side, to build it out for room for a slide to move up and down. I cut the slide from dark slide material and sanded everything so it would move up and down easily, then waxed it. I then cut a piece to go over the slide and guide stips, with the appropriate opening. Now, for timing it - I cut a slit in the slide, spaced so it would be covered when fully up or down. I tested it with my shutter tester with the thing mounted on the lens and the slide fully up. By using one finger to push the slide down, I got the time it was open and enlarged the slit a bit at a time until I got 1/50 at full speed. I can also get a pretty consistent 1/25 by being a little more gentle with the push. You can only move one of these things so fast without jiggling the camera. I hope this offers some help.

Antique & Classic Camera Blog
    www.antiquecameras.net/blog.html

----------------------

Antique & Classic Camera Blog
    www.antiquecameras.net/blog.html

The patented Jim Galli Shutter.

A Packard is very nice too. You can make a suitable sleeve to fit over the front of the 360 with Packard attached to sleeve. Focus, slip on the Packard, fire. A very nice thing about Packards is it is very easy to have them fire studio lights.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

Downstairs

Thanks all. CCHarrison's device seems to be the one. I'll show it when I've made it.