Thread: Visiting Yellowstone in winter

Visiting Yellowstone in winter

I am am going on a trip near Yellowstone for a conference and would like to visit the park for two to three days if possible. I have never been there in the winter. After checking their sites and asking about different tours offered, it seems that one can rent a snowmobile and a guide for 600 dollar per day. Has anyone visited Yellowstone in the winter? Any appreciate any advise on taking a 8x10 and taking pictures there. What type of tour did you take etc. Many thanks! Jim

Re: Visiting Yellowstone in winter

James,

There are several areas of the park that you can access without renting a sled, the Northern Road from Gardiner to Cooke City is open year around, this goes through the Lamar Valley and can be quite a nice place to photograph in Winter, there is quite an abundant wildlife population in that area during the winter.

If you want to visit the geyser basins you will have to rent a sled or take a snowcoach tour, of course with a sled it will require a guide and I find it quite a bit better than the long trip on the snowcoach, in addition you will be able to stop and photograph easier from a sled tour.

Using an 8x10 in winter in Yellowstone, can present some unique problems, as the system is large and bulky, in addition you will be bundled in bulky cloths with heavy gloves, so it does present some problems, but not insurmountable if you plan carefully.

They geyser basins can be spectacular in winter, with the misty steam and if your lucky enough to get sunshine, makes for some very moody pictures.

It is a great place to visit in the winter, but again, it takes planning as well as understanding of what can be very hostile environments. I have visited many times in winter and it was worth it, but it can be very cold (-30 degree) and very harsh,(blizzards, etc.)

Have fun.

Thanks for the advice! I will be well prepared! jim

If you go, make sure you and your guide follow all of the rules for going into wild places alone. I was born in Bozeman and I remember hearing when I was little about a x-country skier who died after falling and becoming suspended upside down in about 8 feet of snow. His skis worked sort of like the veins on an arrow. He left on Saturday morning didn't tell anyone he was going so he was only missed monday morning when he didn't show for work.

I strongly recommend getting a guide. During my only winter trip I used a guide and he was friendly, well prepared and understood the territory, e.g., "look to the left about half way up the hill and see if a wolf comes by." (which it did!). It was a great experience. Tom Conway.

Jim Ewins

There is NOTHING like Yellowstone in the winter! A fairy land indeed. Go with a good photo tour group that will allow you the time to make LF images. Many outstanding areas are only reached by snowcat or perhaps snowmobile. It may be too late for this year.