Page 81 of 86 FirstFirst ... 31717980818283 ... LastLast

Thread: Show us your home made camera...

Re: Show us your home made camera...

Dirk, these are superb! No other word for them. As one who plays around with camera builds I can see a level of finish that I always strive for but seldom meet. I also have a Linhof branded 65/8 Super Angulon which I've thought would be good in a homemade camera. I've had great results with this lens in a 6x9 camera. Well done.

James, I recently got some grade 2 Fomaspeed paper especially for paper negatives. It's a long time since I did a paper neg and I'm looking forward to getting into it. Thanks for the encouragement.

This and your newer post are inspiring

Did you see the results of paper reversal recently from member Pound?

Quote Originally Posted by James R. Kyle View Post
    Thank you.....Attachment 204624

Just added This "bad-boy".... No shutter - But I did build a "Front f-Stop "Waterhouse" Slide-In aperture attachment - And in that, I am using Photo Paper as a "film-base". It works very well. Just a lens cap like the photographers of the 19th century did. :-)
    Tin Can

DirkFletcher

Dirk, these are superb! No other word for them. As one who plays around with camera builds I can see a level of finish that I always strive for but seldom meet. I also have a Linhof branded 65/8 Super Angulon which I've thought would be good in a homemade camera. I've had great results with this lens in a 6x9 camera. Well done.

Thanks so much Barry!
    Last edited by DirkFletcher; 4-Sep-2020 at 17:54.

I wanted a wooden 8x10 camera à la Shenhao, Tachihara, Deardorff etc. With lots of shiny parts.
    Since I have a well equipped workshop (I also build guitars) I started to plan. First I bought some film holders and a lens on eBay. I decided to improvise and didn't make a detailed construction drawing. Just some raw calculations. I looked for as many pictures as possible and started to combine elements of some cameras. I started with the frame and decided step by step how to build the next part. I painted the wooden parts with wood glaze, smoothed them with steel wool, waxed and polished them.
    The metal parts were cut from aluminium profiles (not anodized), partly milled and polished. Different knurled nuts (m6, m6 and m4) I found in the hardware store, so at least this one did not have to be turned.
    I was able to make a bellows myself (tedious job), but it was not flexible enough (too thick material used), so I finally used it for my DIY 8x10 enlarger. I bought than a custom made 8x10 bellows on Aliexpress. The camera is with 33cm width a bit bigger than the models I had looked at. That's because in the beginning I made the self-made bellows 1.5-2cm wider than usual. That resulted in the width of the frame. Difficulties to find a suitable gear rack for the micro-focusing gave me the idea to use a GT2 belt (often used in 3D printers) and appropriate pulleys. I got is done in 4 weeks (about 3h per day in my workshop) as I wanted to test it as soon as possible.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-06-12 09.10.12.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	207430 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-06-12 09.13.05.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	207431

Name:	assembly.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	207429

Very nice and elegant!

I like the Belt focus, zero lash

If we use 100 hours of custom shop labor at $100 to $200 per or more...

I realize you may have more spare time in your personal business

What is next?

Quote Originally Posted by elgatosuizo View Post
    I wanted a wooden 8x10 camera à la Shenhao, Tachihara, Deardorff etc. With lots of shiny parts.
    Since I have a well equipped workshop (I also build guitars) I started to plan. First I bought some film holders and a lens on eBay. I decided to improvise and didn't make a detailed construction drawing. Just some raw calculations. I looked for as many pictures as possible and started to combine elements of some cameras. I started with the frame and decided step by step how to build the next part. I painted the wooden parts with wood glaze, smoothed them with steel wool, waxed and polished them.
    The metal parts were cut from aluminium profiles (not anodized), partly milled and polished. Different knurled nuts (m6, m6 and m4) I found in the hardware store, so at least this one did not have to be turned.
    I was able to make a bellows myself (tedious job), but it was not flexible enough (too thick material used), so I finally used it for my DIY 8x10 enlarger. I bought than a custom made 8x10 bellows on Aliexpress. The camera is with 33cm width a bit bigger than the models I had looked at. That's because in the beginning I made the self-made bellows 1.5-2cm wider than usual. That resulted in the width of the frame. Difficulties to find a suitable gear rack for the micro-focusing gave me the idea to use a GT2 belt (often used in 3D printers) and appropriate pulleys. I got is done in 4 weeks (about 3h per day in my workshop) as I wanted to test it as soon as possible.

Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Very nice and elegant!

I like the Belt focus, zero lash

If we use 100 hours of custom shop labor at $100 to $200 per or more...

I realize you may have more spare time in your personal business

What is next?
    Thanks...
    Nah... I didn't worked on it at weekends. so it was about 60h of work. Building things in my home workshop is my hobby: so it's 60h of fun for me. Actually I'm building small stuff: cutomized enlarging frames (for black borders), FB paper drying frames and a motorized rotator for jobo tanks. Next bigger project isn't LF related (guitars again).

Quote Originally Posted by elgatosuizo View Post

One word = WOW!

What focus helical do you use?

Alas my frozen turkey pinhole camera is long gone and I neglected to take a photograph of it.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Not sure if this is the right forum-----
    Here is my homemade camera obscura project "Door Frames"

Last edited by @kj_roper; 22-Jun-2022 at 15:29. Reason: no video link