Page 85 of 86 FirstFirst ... 357583848586 LastLast

Thread: Show us your home made camera...

Re: Show us your home made camera...

47mm Super Angulon w/ Linhof back for 6x6 - 6x12 role back or 4x5 holders. Homemade Handheld 4X5.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1930.jpg   IMG_1929.jpg  

Here's an 8x10 camera made out of a coffee table (I did a separate post on it but thought I should add it it this one):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20230328_230533.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	237269

Pretty much everything was home made except for the lens elements, nuts, bolts, and screws, fabric/cardboard for the bellows and some glue.

I love the coffee table camera! I've re-used all sorts of things in the pursuit of photography (and astronomy) to keep the costs down and for the joy of re-using things. The bellows looks great. I've made 2 bellows for 8x10's, one straight and one tapered. it is a tough job to do well and yours looks amazing. The color suggests you used blackout curtain material like I did for my two. Did you? Does the front standard support tilt/shift/swing? Again, love it!

Yes, I did use blackout curtain fabric. It was inexpensive ($10CDN) and seems to work well. I did make a big mistake on it though--I wasn't aware that I needed to alternate the narrow/wide ribs between the top/bottom and sides, so the top/bottom folds down tapered fine, but the sides don't. It still works, and does fold down, though the side ribs stand up. And yes, the front standard had tilt/shift/swing. Tilt/shift is the same knob so it's a little tricky to use. I suppose the rear standard has tilt down capability as well...

Quote Originally Posted by Fr. Mark View Post
    I love the coffee table camera! I've re-used all sorts of things in the pursuit of photography (and astronomy) to keep the costs down and for the joy of re-using things. The bellows looks great. I've made 2 bellows for 8x10's, one straight and one tapered. it is a tough job to do well and yours looks amazing. The color suggests you used blackout curtain material like I did for my two. Did you? Does the front standard support tilt/shift/swing? Again, love it!

Quote Originally Posted by setdesigner View Post
    Nice ! I would love details of build, is it 3d printed ?
    This is 3D printing. SUNLU PLA+ filament. Printer Creality Ender 3 v2 modified. STL files and others, here

https://disk.yandex.ru/d/MjzVEiWs1xsngw

Makiflex Standard BandL Super Cinephor Linhof Graflex Back by Nokton48, on Flickr

This is my second Makiflex Standard, bought from a shoppe in Vienna. It has been heavily, professionally modified. Note the custom Side Handle. The Front Standard is HEAVILY MODIFIED, note the precison machine werk. Quite a bit of the camera has been removed! Right under the lens is a LENS SWING MECHANISM, which has a ball detent (NICE) and swings the front standard on the optical axis of the lens. Quite a bit of Swing is possible, seems very sturdy and built to last. The cool thing about the Standard Makiflex, is that the inside throat is more spacious, and has no cables getting ini the way of BEEG lens. This boat anchor of a lens, is a Bausch&Lomb Super Cinephor, 159.1mm F2.0, which is outrageously fast. It looks great I think on this camera, and it will get some use this Spring, I can tell you. It's going to be FUN. This is a olde lens meant for 70mm and 35mm Cinema Projection, like in a commercial theatre. Cool that it fits the Standard, but won't fit my Automatic Makiflex, for the above reasons. So this lens is an Uber Speed Light Sucker, great that I can swing the front, say like, when doing a portrait or still life. On the back is the Makiflex 4x5 Holder that takes Linhof Plate Holders, or Graflex Graphic Holders, with the flip of a couple of switches top and bottom. Linhof Holders are much thicker, and can also take planfilm or glass plates. They are mucho Deluxe
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

This started out as a simple 4x5 box camera built around the 90mm Wollensak Optar f6.8, a tiny, light weight lens, paired with a 1lb 15oz travel tripod. Then mission creep set in.... Added a 127mm f4.7 Kodak Ektar...then a 2x5" splitter...then a 2 1/2 x 4" splitter (https://www.largeformatphotography.i...3524-Splitters!). So, three formats x two focal lengths = six compositional possibilities.

Camera weighs 13oz w/o lens, 18oz with the 90mm. 1/4" mahogany and cold worked brass. 6 1/4 x 5 1/4" (w x h). 1/4" sockets for landscape and portrait. Acrylic focus screen. Leather strap handle.

Still thinking about adding a wire viewer or optical viewfinder for hand-held shooting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20230518_143445335.jpg   IMG_20230518_142806087.jpg   IMG_20230518_143429205.jpg   IMG_20230518_143504065.jpg  
    Last edited by Michael Roberts; 13-Jun-2023 at 14:31.

Small town, South Carolina, US

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Roberts View Post
    This started out as a simple box camera built around the 90mm Optar f6.8, a tiny, light weight lens, paired with 1lb 15oz travel tripod. Then mission creep set in.... Added a 127mm f4.7 Kodak Ektar...then a 2x5" splitter...then a 2 1/2 x 4" splitter. So, three formats x two focal lengths = six compositional possibilities.

Camera weighs 13oz w/o lens, 18oz with the 90mm. 1/4" mahogany and cold worked brass. 6 1/4 x 5 1/4" (w x h). 1/4" sockets for landscape and portrait. Acrylic focus screen. Leather strap handle.
    Great job! Looks neat.

Thanks rfesk!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Roberts View Post
    This started out as a simple 4x5 box camera built around the 90mm Wollensak Optar f6.8, a tiny, light weight lens, paired with a 1lb 15oz travel tripod. Then mission creep set in.... Added a 127mm f4.7 Kodak Ektar...then a 2x5" splitter...then a 2 1/2 x 4" splitter. So, three formats x two focal lengths = six compositional possibilities.

Still thinking about adding a wire viewer or optical viewfinder for hand-held shooting.
    Beautiful camera and well thought out with spring back; and what a nice wood/finish!

My Flickr