Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: safelight question

safelight question

Perhaps I'm dense. I'm just learning contact printing, by trial and error (mostly error). The paper I am using is Ilford MGIV and (as I recall), it says something like "use amber or brown safelight". I need a safelight, and the guy that sold me the paper said I could just use a small red bulb.

I get that the amber is preferable, but do I need it? Is it merely that you are safer longer with amber than red, or will red rapidly fog the film?

Thanks for the help. Tim

Octogenarian

Re: safelight question

Multigrade IV is a fast variable contrast paper. It has a (slight) sensitivity to red. Long time exposure to red light could possibly cause fogging.

Ilford recommends using a safelight that is specific for their VC paper.

If you were contact printing with a slower, less sensitive to red paper, such as AZO, it would be okay to use a red safelight.

Most modern paper manufacturers suggest using amber(OC) safelights. A few older style emulsions (Adox/Efke) recommend only red(1A) safelights. My understanding is that red is your safest default light. A test is easy. Simply place a piece of paper face up under the light and place a coin on the paper. After several minutes of exposure, develop the paper. If the area under the coin is lighter than the rest, the paper is not safe under the light. Even if the light is not safe to use, you can try switching to a lower wattage bulb (7.5w) and turn the light around so that it shines indirectly against the wall or ceiling. Additionally, you can move the light further away from the paper thereby lowering the amount that hits the paper. Those steps may be enough to safeguard your paper against fogging for several minutes.

What Toyon said, but why? It's easier on the eyes to work with amber/green light than red light, as the eyes usually are a bit less sensitive to details in red light. (At least that is what they told me in the shady quarters in Amsterdam... )

//Björn

Thank you. That makes sense. So, an amber safelight will work with all papers? For example, common graded papers? I'm curious because I am going to try to buy one today, and wonder if Ineed to get both a red and an amber cover.

Octogenarian

Look for a safelight that has an amber (OC) filter or an Ilford 902 filter.
    It will work with VC or graded papers and will give you a much more comfortable light to work with in your darkroom.

Thank you Gem. That's what I will do.

Best, Tim

I've got one of each in low wattage fixtures. Working under oc safelights is easier, but working under a red light is curiously stimulating to the senses. I turn off the amber when using older papers, like Efke and Dupont Varilux.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Meisburger View Post
    ... the guy that sold me the paper said I could just use a small red bulb ...
    If you do use a red bulb, make sure it is a bulb specifically designed as a safelight. Other red bulbs designed as decorative lighting might let too much unwanted light from "unsafe" parts of the spectrum through.

Amber or OC safelight colors WILL NOT WORK with all photo papers. Consult the data sheet that comes with the paper.