Thread: help needed!

help needed!

I’m getting ready to get into some B&W photography, having never developed a bit of film in my life. I’m pretty well on my way toward accumulating things for developing negatives. At this point I plan to scan the negatives and print digitally, but I’m considering trying out some wet darkroom printing eventually. I have a source for a 4x5 enlarger for $25, so I could probably test the waters without too much cash outlay.

Here’s where I need help: My wife works at a high school that no longer has a darkroom, but they have 3 boxes of stuff gathering dust. I think most of it is useless to me, but there are a few things I might want. I’ll have to “bid” on it, but most likely will get it regardless of what I bid. So which of these might be of use to me in the future if I get into doing my own printing?

A grain focuser that looks pretty cheesy. Says “Focus Scope” on it. I assume some of these are better than others?

Two “premier” safelights (that don’t look very premier to me!), one about 5x7, the other 10x12. There are also two glass Kodak safelight filters, but of course they are too large for the smaller safelight and too small for the larger!

A “Time-O-Lite” GR-72 timer with a face that really glows in the dark!

Several Beseler audible/repeating enlarging timers, a Unicolor Precision Timer, and a Gralab 505 enlarging timer. Is there a simple way to tell if these work?

Some Bogen adjustable easels with rather flimsy looking blades and one pretty solid looking easel that is fixed at 7 ½ x 9 ½ on one side and smaller sizes on the other.

A couple print squeegees.

Should I go for any of this?

Thanks,
    Gregg W

Re: help needed!

Quote Originally Posted by h2oman View Post

A grain focuser that looks pretty cheesy. Says “Focus Scope” on it. I assume some of these are better than others?
    The 'good' one cost over $200 USD, so I'd pick that up for a buck or two.

Two “premier” safelights (that don’t look very premier to me!), one about 5x7, the other 10x12. There are also two glass Kodak safelight filters, but of course they are too large for the smaller safelight and too small for the larger!
    I'd pick up these. Not too many options for new safelights (beyond Premier). I use a Premier.

A “Time-O-Lite” GR-72 timer with a face that really glows in the dark!
    Thats a durable classic. Worth a couple bucks if it works.

Several Beseler audible/repeating enlarging timers, a Unicolor Precision Timer, and a Gralab 505 enlarging timer. Is there a simple way to tell if these work?
    I'd probably pick up two total timers. One for your eventual enlarger and another you can watch for film processing.

Some Bogen adjustable easels with rather flimsy looking blades and one pretty solid looking easel that is fixed at 7 ˝ x 9 ˝ on one side and smaller sizes on the other.

A couple print squeegees.

Should I go for any of this?

Thanks,
    Gregg W
    Best to look for a 4-blade easel, thought it might cost $$$. The Bogen might get you by until you can find better, if its only a few bucks.

Pick it all up. It's all very usable. You can get fancy later when you become the famous artist.

Thanks, guys. But one question - do I really need all three enlarger timers? Anyone got any favorites of the three I mentioned?

Someone has already given my one of the large "clock-face" Gralab timers for developing, but the glow stuff on the hands and the dial are very dim and hard to read. Is the Time-O-Lite a substitute for that? Is the dial too bright for certain processes?

Big Bend

My enlarging timer is on the fritz, if you got an extra one and listed it here I'm sure you would get some interest.
    Last edited by Joe Forks; 9-Feb-2009 at 12:06. Reason: typo

I have two enlargers plugged into one timer, it's a pain. Keep all three, you never know when one will blow.

What they said. You can always use a timer for each tray: Developer, Stop, Fix, Fix.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

I've read somewhere that the main difference between the cheap grain focusers and the more expensive ones is that the expensive ones can be used nearer to the edges of the paper whereas the cheap ones have to be used near the center of the paper. I have no idea whether that's right or not but that's what I've read.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

When I was at the Canadian Press, we had Paterson plastic focusers, they had to be used close to the center, so I would think you are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    I've read somewhere that the main difference between the cheap grain focusers and the more expensive ones is that the expensive ones can be used nearer to the edges of the paper whereas the cheap ones have to be used near the center of the paper. I have no idea whether that's right or not but that's what I've read.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    Yes, the 'over $200' one does that. (the mirror is bigger). Its worth every cent!