Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody use a Fuji Finescan

Anybody use a Fuji Finescan

My local store offer this:

Scanning
    Fuji FineScan
    Print this page!

Information
    Used for scanning prints, X-rays, artwork and large format film. No framed art or 3D objects.
    Resolution up to 2,743 dpi
    Scans will make large prints.
    Maximum original size up to 12.5 x 18
    Files can be saved in JPG, TIFF or PSD format.
    CMYK Color space available.

$4.50 PER SCAN

I own an Epson V750 Pro but assume this will do a better job for the price?
    I know the only way to really know is to have some done, but I would like some thoughs for scanning b&w 4x5 negs

Re: Anybody use a Fuji Fiescan

Quote Originally Posted by coops View Post
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=33974
    To me the price seems quite reasonable for a try.

Scanning
    Fuji FineScan
    Print this page!

Information
    Used for scanning prints, X-rays, artwork and large format film. No framed art or 3D objects.

$4.50 PER SCAN

I know the only way to really know is to have some done, but I would like some thoughs for scanning b&w 4x5 negs
    It would be interesting to see the comparison. I'm not sure your Epson might not be better for 4x5 as you can use the 'hi res' system on them.

Do some scans and compare them is the only way. It would seem crazy to pay for worse.

I own a finescan 5000 and can say it exceeds the performance of the imacon I had and also exceeds the results from the creo scitex eversmart that a local scanning service has. The finescan is top quality and way outperforms the epsoms. Not even in the same class.

Whilst the scanner is no doubt better than an Epson it is hard to believe that they can take the time and care required to give you a good scan at that price. Give it a try and see.

David Whistance

Quote Originally Posted by Don Dudenbostel View Post
    I own a finescan 5000 and can say it exceeds the performance of the imacon I had and also exceeds the results from the creo scitex eversmart that a local scanning service has. The finescan is top quality and way outperforms the epsoms. Not even in the same class.
    Yeah it does seem to be owners of equipment who need their stuff to be better.

I was kinda convinced but you know I'm not so sure now.

I'll need proof.

It would be easy coops. Just do some scans and compare them.

This is how:
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...=epson+scanner

Number 4

Although that is a pain just try scanning at 4800 spi with the film holder and see how that compares. You may be surprised. Certainly worth a try.

You will need to find the focus plane. Try with the feet both ways and off. Mine is sharpest with the feet off but many find the + position to be best.

I would certainly do a comparison with the V750. Even assuming that the FineScan is a much better scanner there is always some advantage in controlling this part of your work flow.

Whatever you do, make sure that the comparison scans are done in 16 bit. This will make it possible to do further editing in Photoshop. The price for the FineScan is pretty low and might be a good bargain if it is done in 16 bit with no clipping of end points.

If you want to get as much as possible from your V750 I would suggest investing in a BetterScanning fluid mount system. This mount provides a mechanism for adjusting the height of the mount over the best to locate the point of best focus, and the negative is fluid mounted to the under side of the glass to minimize refraction.

Should you want to do something on the cheap similar in concept you could just buy a piece of AN framing glass of the same size as the glass on your scanner. Mount the negative to the bottom of the glass, smooth side of the film toward the smooth side of the glass) and then use spacers to scan at various distances from the glass. Once you find the right height you can simply glue spacers at the four corners of the glass and attach some kind of positioning frame to the top of the glass. Once you fluid mount the negative just tape it around the edges and make your scan. When you scan the emulsion of the film should face down, toward the CCD, and the AN side of the glass up toward the light.

Fluid mounting gives a cleaner scan that minimizes grain, scratches and imperfections on the emulsion, and also improves micro-contrast. It does not, however, increase the resolution of the scanner, or at least not by very much.

Sandy King

Scanning
    Fuji FineScan
    Print this page!

Information

$4.50 PER SCAN

Quote Originally Posted by PenGun View Post
    Yeah it does seem to be owners of equipment who need their stuff to be better.

I was kinda convinced but you know I'm not so sure now.

I'll need proof.

It would be easy coops. Just do some scans and compare them.

This is how:
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...=epson+scanner

Number 4

Although that is a pain just try scanning at 4800 spi with the film holder and see how that compares. You may be surprised. Certainly worth a try.

You will need to find the focus plane. Try with the feet both ways and off. Mine is sharpest with the feet off but many find the + position to be best.

Try doing a little research before making this kind of remark.

The Finescan was originally made by Crossfield of England. If you know anything about top quality professional scanners then you know about Crossfield. Crossfield was bought by Dupont and then Fuji. The scanner I have is the 5000 which is a later version of the Lanovia Quatro. The 5000 has slightly better dynamic range (I think 4.2 but can't remember) and scans to 5000% optical res rather then 4500% with the Quatro. I bought my machine as a demo from Fuji a number of years back but at the time I think it was around $28,000 and the stripped down version 2750 was around $15,000. The Quatro and the 5000 have 4 of Fujis best apo glass lenses with EBC coatings and are XY axis scanners so the film is always in the sweet spot no matter where it is on the platen.The specs are true numbers not inflated like many other makers. I previously owned a 2750 but bot a good deal on the 5000 and went for it. The Imacon that I had before that was excellent but wasn't as sharp across the neg as the Fujis are. Dynamic range is similar but the Finescan is more versatile and can scan up to 13x18 film or prints. Also the Fuji has auto focus that's amazing. It will focus on 3D objects at a depth of 10mm and had dual cold cathode light sources that can be switched on or off. The Fuji is a heavy duty prepress professional machine and not designed for home use. It's very large and weighs about 125 pounds. I think one difference of the Quatro and the 5000 is the internal frame with the Quatro being cast iron and the 5000 made of alloy. Here's a link to the specs. It's very comparable to the Eversmart Supreme in quality of scan and almost as fast.

http://www.fujifilm.pt/files/docs/fi...ners_00022.pdf

I owned the 1680 Epson but never the 750. The 1680 was good but not nearly as sharp and fore subtle transitions and detail the 1680 introduced much more electronic noise in the scan causing problems separating these details and tonal values where as the Fuji is basically noise free.

A scanner is only as good as it is calibrated and as good as the person running it. Calibrated properly the Finescan will deliver exceptional scans. I don't say this just because I own one but because I've had a great deal of experience with other scanners.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Dudenbostel View Post

A scanner is only as good as it is calibrated and as good as the person running it.

True, and this worries me. I called the lab and talked about getting scans done, and they really did not want to do it. They said they had so many complaints about dust on the scan, and for $4.50 per scan they are not going to dust the image. I said I did not expect them too, and I will do it. They really want to me to order drum scans.
    Anyway they will do it this week, they do advertise it, and I can post comparisons if anybody is interested.
    Perhaps I should get a bunch done in case they take the large format film part of the advertising down and refuse to do it again.

I have a broken $50,000 Scanmate 5000 under my trailer. Professional equipment has the precision and durability that production machines need to have to operate day after day. Certainly they are expensive and well made things. Most of them are old and less than state of the art. Many are not produced or supported any more.

Most of the cost of professional equipment is the high level of precision that has to reliably operate in various environments. These machines are built like tanks.

It is not inconceivable that a new well sorted out amateur machine, which of course is much cheaper due to much less stringent requirements, could rival these beasts.

I don't know. I've looked at so much stuff and it's not apparent that the little Epsons wet mounted are really that much worse. As I have said elsewhere there does not seem to be a serious test of the V750/V700 'hi res' system anywhere.

I am impressed with my small amount of exploration. My 35mm scans out much nicer than Pro Photo CD which I have from before. I did not expect 35mm to be so good. This at the focus plane. Scans made away from it are less impressive. This is the main difference. You have to dial in an amateur machine to make it perform well. The focus plane is a crap shoot, you have to find it, but once found it is stable.

It is apparent that a lot of people have a lot of money invested in very fine machines. My point is that it would be kinda terrible to discover that $600 of scanner is pretty well as good. Not that it is ... but there does seem to be that fear.